_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PE railings
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:25 AM UTC
Howdy All,
I have a question reguarding PE ship railings..when should one paint them ( im thinking still on the PE tree) and my second question is how to attach them....Does one drill holes for them? Wont there be problems with paint on the deck and trying to attach them to it?

Any input would help,
Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC
I think you will find there are several ways of doing this. I find that painting the rails while they are still on the fret works best for me. The pe railing is the last parts I add to my models after the model is completly painted. Normaly the railing is attached with super glue (CA), But for myself I have had good luck whith white glue (Elmers). It sets up slower and dries transparent, so there is little touch up painting to do. I just find it is easier for me to work with. (I dont worry about glueing my fingers together!) Either way you choose to attach the railing, it is going to be fragile and care must be taken not to handle it to much. Trying to paint railing after it is attached to the deck with out getting paint on the deck or the hull borders on the impossible!

HTH,

Garry

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC

...so, I take it trying to add some rust stains and dry brushing on a 1/700 scale Destroyer railings is out of the question?

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Not realy Tread, rust dont care what it gets on. Exept on wood decks it would be cleaned up in a hurry. But, (he he) on 1/700 scale I will leave the pe for somone else !

Cheers,
Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hmmm,
I was thinking about using white glue as well...since I want to attach the PE as one of the last steps. BTW- Noobie question arising- will CA glue bond two surfaces that have been painted? I know that standard tube glue does not. I just assumed the same was true with CA.

Treadhead-- I have begun training an army, or navy, of fleas to do all my weathering on the PE rails. Anybody know where I can find a couple thousand KM uniforms in flea-size? #:-) #:-) Seriously, I wouldn't even think of attempting to weather PE railings,,,I don't even think the eye would be able to see it to make it worth wild.

Sean
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:35 AM UTC
LOL.....SonOfAVet, I've been in contact with SkyNet Corporation regarding bionic implants to allow me to do proper weathering/dry brushing in 1/700th scale, but rumour is they won't get back to me for a few years yet.........their secretary told me to call Cyberdyne Industries and contact a guy by the name of Swartzanegger?

Tread.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:18 PM UTC
What I do is put the CA on a piece of glass or plastic lid. Take a thin piece of wire and streched sprue Holding the piece in place dip the Wire in the CA and run it along the entire length of the PE. Thin CA will travel down the piece (capillary action). and hold it in place.
You may need to touch the PE up after you bend it to shape, But Gary 100 % correct about painting it on the sprue.
Hope this helps and makes it easier

Paul
 _GOTOTOP