_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Help Needed for Anchors
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi folks,
I'm working on a 1/300 scale kit of a 19th century ship. The kit did not come with any anchors but I would like to portray them. I am in need of two kedge or stock anchors approximately 10-15mm (~ half inch) tall. Does anyone have any in their spares box they might be willing to part with? All the anchors I've been able to find from online stores are too large. I know about the 3D ones that are becoming available but they are sold in lots of 20, far more than I need. I don't build many sailing vessels so my parts stores are bare when it comes to these types of fittings.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
John
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hey John,

It isn't a 19th Century anchor and the size may not work for you either, but I do have one left over from my Pyro Pinta build (I only used one of the two in the kit):
Let me know if you can use it and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

regards,
Tim
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
Tim,
I appreciate the offer but I really need two anchors. I'm trying to add details to a Lindberg kit of the CSS Virginia. I'm trying to add railings, awnings, davits and anchor as well as a few figures on deck to provide a sense of scale. The anchor you're offering looks a lot like the recovered anchor at the Civil War museum in, I believe, Richmond. The anchors used for the Virginia very likely came from the USS Merrimac. I'm trying to portray the Virginia on March 8, 1862, the first day of the Battle of Hampton Roads. She lost her port anchor when she rammed the USS Cumberland so the anchors must have been prominent and very near the bow. No photographs exist of the Virginia and all the period drawings differ in many details, including the anchors so I'm going with my best guess.

I'm probably going to go with the 3D anchors from Shapeways if I can't find a pair.

Again I really appreciate your offer.
Thanks
John
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Just an update. I bought a Model Shipways kit of the Phantom at a yard sale for $1 a few weeks ago. The kit was being sold for parts only as the kit had been started and was now not salvageable. Included in the parts were two 25mm lead stock anchors! Even a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut! I was able to trim them down to 20mm with no problem so now I'm good to go.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.
John
 _GOTOTOP