_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
HMS HOOD 1/200 squashed bow repair technique?
Jdubyadee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi My 1/200 Trumpy HMS Hood has a squashed bow presumably from bumping in the box - can anyone suggest the best way to repair? I was thinking Milliput but would building up a profile from U-shaped Evergreen card be a more stable alternative? Has anyone else had this problem with this kit? I'll try and post a photo to show what I mean about squashed.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:40 AM UTC
Sounds like a warranty problem to me. Take it back whence you purchased it and get another one.
Jdubyadee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 02:39 PM UTC
You're right of course but that could be a major pain so I thought I'd accentuate the positive and turn it into a chance to hone my DIY techniques(!).
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

Warren has the right of it, but if you are set on having a crack at fixing it any chance of posting a couple of pics of the problem.

Cheers

Si
Jdubyadee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi Hope this link works - as I hope you can see it's squashed rather than broken off (like my Revell Bismark but that's another story).

[img]http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/image958.jpg" BORDER="0">[/img]
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC
A punch in the nose! It's certainly fixable, but try to get a replacement first. If the store won't go for it, then try the fix. I would drill a hole right at the end and glue in a piece of plastic rod, or scrap sprue, and build up with epoxy putty. The sprue (rod) is there to anchor the putty to the hull so it won't fall off during working it when it's hardened.
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
Seems another inaccuracy has come to light recently - F.W. Allen from the HMS Hood site has highlighted the fact that the two funnels are different sizes, and should actually be of the same size.

One suggested solution would be to get kit owners to swap funnels with each other so that each one ends up with two identically-sized funnels, The A/M guys are also on it and are busy CAD-ing away to get new replacements onto the market.
Jdubyadee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC
Thanks Biggles I think I'll try Miliput then if that fails layers of U-shaped Evergreen sanded and sculpted with some rod for support.
 _GOTOTOP