_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Working with wooden decks
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:30 PM UTC
I just purchased Hasegawa's 1/700 scale Mikasa, and on a whim, also picked up the Wooden Deck for it. Problem is, I've never used this type of material before. Can someone chime in on the best adhesive to use for this after market item? Also, can you (or should you) use stain on this deck, to give it a weathered look?

Total neophyte with this, so any and all advice is appreciated. I tried searching for tips, but all I could find was reviews of various ship decks, so...

TIA
Mike

LZ32-TX
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:06 AM UTC
Don't know about weathering, but to apply the deck you don't need any glue. Usually the deck already has an adhesive on it. Just remove the plastic backing from the wood and put it on the kit
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:13 AM UTC
Thank you very much for that. I am assuming no special prep to the plastic necessary? I usually wash my models in soapy water and let them air dry before working on them, to wash away any residual mold release and such. But if its that easy, I look forward to working with it. It really adds to the realism of the model, I think.

Mike

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
Mike don't forget to paint all the plastic deck, fittings and structure before fitting the deck other wise you'll have a hell of a time masking the wood deck.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:58 AM UTC
Thank you, Luciano. I was thinking that would have to be the sequence, but I've learned the hard way, believe me, ...lol.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:45 PM UTC
Just drop the wood deck lightly on the kit deck, and be sure all the cutouts match the structures properly before starting to press the deck down. If you start off even just a bit crooked, by the time you get to midship, the deck will be very crooked and may not fit against the structures any more. And the deck is very difficult to impossible to remove and start over.
 _GOTOTOP