These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
display case
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Model Shipwrights: 84 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:24 PM UTC
Just finished the 1/96 Constitution. Need a case. anyone build their own and could share techniques?
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hello Darrell,

I made a case for my wooden Constitution way back when, and because of some damage during a move, had to re-build part of it. It's not anything too extravagent, I think the base is some glued-up maple, with 4 maple uprights with dadoes to hold the glass in place. The top is again maple, but I think it's about 3/4 inches thick, by about 2-1/2 inches wide. It also has dadoes to hold the glass top. The top pieces are mitred together, and has holes drilled in the bottom of the mitred joints, which allows the top to be fitted onto the uprights, which were fitted with dowels, and the top is then just slid onto the uprights.

Since the original case wasn't overly thought-out (about 1987 or so), it's not the best looking thing, but it does keep the dust off the Conny!!

Here's a pic I have - it doesn't show the top of the case, as the picture was to highlight the ship.

After going throughtthis process of building this case, anymore, when I'm around any kind of display case (especially wood & glass), I pay attention to the details, such as how the top/lid is attached to the body of thecase. If I have my camera, I try to take pictures. Going to some antique shops might give you some ideas on how display cases are put together.

Good luck, and if I can answer any questions, fire away!!

Tim
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 07:41 PM UTC
Here's a couple of links to guys who build good ones, and not too complicated if you have tools.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102323&hilit=display

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115471&hilit=cases

_GOTOTOP