_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Todays find - Testors USCG Cutter & LST
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
So, we're currently on holiday on the Isle of Wight and today we stopped off in a collectables shop to have a nose about. They had CDs, DVD's, vinyl LP's, books, old toys and model railway bits and pieces. My other half was looking through the LP's when I spotted these among the toys.

I've never come across these before, but for the price I got them , thinking that if they're no good I've not broken the bank.
Surprisingly, they're not too bad. A little clunky on places but buildable. Stamps on the kits reveal that they are Hawk kits from the 60's. Sadly neither kit gives any details about the subjects. Scale is 1/600 for both.
The LST is a no brainer really, but the USCG Cutter is a mystery to me. I don't know the class or it's period of service. The kit does have depth-charge racks are throwers moulded on the rear deck, so I'm guessing WW2 service?
Does anyone know these kits and can shed more light on them?
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,

These kits are indeed reissues of Hawk models from the late 1960s: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=1890&page=1

The Coast Guard Cutter is a Treasury class (also known as the Secretary class) 327-footer High Endurance Cutter from the 1930s-1980s. These included:

USCGC Bibb (WPG-31)
USCGC Campbell (WPG-32)
USCGC Duane (WPG-33)
USCGC Hamilton (WPG-34)
USCGC Ingham (WPG-35)
USCGC Spencer (WPG-36)
USCGC Taney (WPG-37)

The configuration of the kit is from the World War Two-Korean War era.

I remember building this little guy as a kid for my dad who served on the USCG Taney. Here's a picture my dad took of his ship in 1958:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasury-class_cutter

Fun little kit!

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:05 AM UTC
By the way, there is a review of this kit on Rajen's List at http://www.modelerjoe.net/shipmodellist.html#TestBibb
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks Tim!
They certainly had an interesting service life. I can't think of many ships built in the 30's and still active in the 80's!
The kit provides decals for the Bibb, but I can change hull numbers from my spares if I want. I might even have some replacement bits to improve a few details.
I've had a quick look around on the internet and from what I can tell the kit represents a post-war fit. Wartime versions seem to have had two open mounted 3" guns rather than the kits turreted 5".
When I get back I'll do some proper digging, only so much I can do with a mobile phone.
I think I'll enjoy building and painting it. Never built any Coast Guard subjects before.

Stephen
 _GOTOTOP