_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Good vet story and a model to drool over.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hey guys, For a great detication to a WW-2 vet and photo's of a model of the ship that he served on, click on my selected link to go to the Model Fleet , then click on the message forum. This brought tears to my eye's, happy ones!

Cheers,
Garry
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC
Nice story and a great paint job on that "can."
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC
Howdy Garry,

I want to thank you for sharing that story with us. All I can say, without getting too 'deep' about it, is this. Example's like that, are what exemplify precisely how I feel about my military modeling. Every time I build something, or even think about building something. In my mind, it is a form of 'homage' to those who served in that role in the stead of others.

Tread.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 03:54 PM UTC
I did something similar a couple of years ago. As a paramedic, I try to get to know the people I am transporting. Over the years I have met and "interviewed" several vets of various conflicts. One day, I was transporting a gentleman who told me he was injured in North Africa when the half track he was riding in ran over a mine. He was in the track because his M3 Lee had been destroyed the day before. He told me how he was in traction 18 months and had to learn how to walk again.

When I went home the next day, I dug an old M3 Lee out of my closet and put it together and put it on a base. I went over to his house about a week later and told him I had something for him. I gave him the model and he teared up a little. He just stared at it for the longest. He then thanked and thanked me. He sat it beside his recliner on an end table and said he would show it to everybody that came over and tell them about his service.

I've competed in contests in the past and won several awards. The look in his eyes was worth more than any award to me. If you want a truly fulfilling modeling experience, find a vet and build him a model. You will be glad you did.

Patrick
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
Well said Patrick, I would just love to have the chance to do this ! I have thought about it alot, and to build a model for a vet would fill this old heart with joy and make it all worth while.

Regards,
Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Garry,

I want to thank you for sharing that story with us. All I can say, without getting too 'deep' about it, is this. Example's like that, are what exemplify precisely how I feel about my military modeling. Every time I build something, or even think about building something. In my mind, it is a form of 'homage' to those who served in that role in the stead of others.

Tread.

Yes, I know tread. And I feel the same way! Every time I build a model, and specialy as the model is getting close to being finished, The spirit of those that served on it comes to life. I built it in honer of them.

Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
A very touching story indeed, acts like this go beyond words and shows how deeply we respect and honor our Vets.

Sean
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want a truly fulfilling modeling experience, find a vet and build him a model. You will be glad you did.

I couldn't agree more, I built a Halifax bomber as a surprise for a guy I knew who served on them and Liberators during the war. He was really touched, then a couple of weeks later I presented him with a Liberator. He repaid me in the best way possible when he took me with him to an airplane museum where they had just finished restoring a Halifax. The stories he told and the look in his eyes when he laid eyes on it were great.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:10 PM UTC
I have a suggestion for those among us who are members of modeling clubs such as IPMS, have a representative contact your state's Veteran's Hospital and Retirement Home. Find out if any of our Brothers-in Arms would like to have a model or diorama representing their service. America is looseing nearly a thousand WW2 Vets a day, if I remember from my DAV Magazine. Anything we could do to show our appreciation to them and those who followed them I'm sure would be appreciated.
 _GOTOTOP