_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Deck color
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi all
I've just got the 1:350 CVL 22 USS Independence from Dragon Models, with PE from Eduard and a wooden deck from Artwox.
BUT, looking through numerous pictures on the internet, it seems like the correct color for the flight deck is deck blue or some sort of navy grey color, and by no mean plain wood.
It just seems to me, that if the flight deck have to be painted, it would be a total waste to use the great looking wooden deck from Artwox.
Can any one here please point me in the right direction?
TIA
Jacob
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi Jacob,

Officially the wooden flight deck color for US aircraft carriers during World War Two was universally Flight Deck Stain 21, a shade close to the 5-N Navy Blue of the hull and superstructure of many ships. However, busy combat schedules usually precluded careful maintenance.

The following photographs of the Enterprise taken in the Spring of 1945, show the blue stain she wore at this time almost completely weathered away:
 photo Enterpriseafterattack1_zpsa2e3e8b0.jpg

photo Enterpriseafterattack2_zps62b2c474.jpg

photo Enterpriseafterattack3_zpscedad53c.jpg

photo Enterpriseafterattack4_zps85ab30d9.jpg

Here’s an image from another source, this one a capture from a movie that was shot aboard Enterprise moments after the 14 May, 1945 Kamikaze attack showing sailors evacuating a casualty:
 photo Enterprisecolormoviecapturecasualty_zpsaee89e83.jpg
http://www.criticalpast.com/products/search/?sort_order=asc&q=cv-6&page=3

It is hard to know how much to trust reproductions of old color photographs or movie captures, but comparison of the deck color with the dark blue denim trousers and the lighter blue chambray shirts on the sailors suggests that the deck has in this case weathered to a mostly brown color.

On the other hand, more recently stained flight decks would appear a very pretty, neat blue... so you have a choice!

Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:12 PM UTC
Hi Tim
Great news, which means that I can use my real wooden deck.
It's gonna look great, thanks for your fast response
Jacob
 _GOTOTOP