_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Shore based vehicles - Snow Blowers
turtle65
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 266 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 07:54 AM UTC
all,
Just hoping someone can put my mind to rest over this thing that has been bugging me for ages :

WHY would the Navy require such beasts ?, not being familiar with Naval Shore Bases/Dockyards (sizes of etc.etc.), however these seem slight overkill. Interweb can't assist so I humbly request your input and knowledge.

The trucks are 1966 Walter RDUL's. The first photo states it was one of a fleet of trucks for the Navy and awaiting Sicard blower units.
The second photo is of the same truck in 2014!, awaiting restoration.
The third photo is what I believe is a complete unit.

Huge thanks in advance for any input. Ta.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 03:41 PM UTC
Interesting one to say the least Roger. Not being any sort of expert a with the lack of information you found so far I suppose guessing perspective might help. Many Naval bases are quite large in fact small cities. Then there are somewhere around 100 Naval bases in the US alone....maybe another 35 to 40 outside the US...we need to factor in US Marine bases since while a separate branch, they do work hand in hand together. Lastly add civilian docks and property not owned by the government but leased too them... subtract warm climate bases and there is a tremendous amount of ground that needs to be plowed during the winter months. These appear to be an efficient means to effectively remove snow quickly. I would think if you wanted to narrow down expenditures there are Naval records for financial management with the US Navy to google!

fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 06:48 PM UTC
Very likely this unit was stationed at a Naval Air Station such as Brunswick ME........ or one in the more northern latitudes.
turtle65
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 266 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:56 AM UTC
apologies for the delay .
Thanks to all for their time and thoughts on this conundrum .
Still bugging me .
After some research into the Air Force snow blowers - that lead nowhere as is typical of Govt Dept's they purchased Oshkosh trucks, it was back to square one.

As Brian stated it would seem most appropriate these were for Naval Air Bases in the Northern sectors.
Thanks
 _GOTOTOP