_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tirpitz & Photo etch... ?
KelticKnot
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:21 PM UTC
Seems I've been drawn to the dark arts of ship modelling...

I've recently completed my Lancaster bomber configured for the Tirpitz raid during which I did a lot of reading not only on the bombers but recently the ship itself.

Now, I've got some vouchers from Christmas burning a hole in my pocket.... Whilst I'd love nothing better than to build a huge 1/350 Tirpitz it would simply be too big.
Instead I've been eyeing up a 1/700 Tirpitz from Trumpeter as it's a comparatively cheap model compared to the Dragon or other manufacturers.

My question is this : does anyone have experience to know whether the Eduard PE set for the Revell Tirpitz work well or should I just get the more expensive WEM set which describes itself as fitting the Trumpeter kit?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:13 PM UTC
Personally I would go with the WEM set, I don't like Eduards naval range, aircraft and armour I like but not their naval.

I find that Eduard just do the parts for the sake of it but don't correct any missing detail just my personal opinion, for their naval range.
KelticKnot
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:37 PM UTC
Thanks for your perspective Luciano, I think I'll go with the WEM set in the end. I was just trying to be cheap as I can't get the WEM set with my Xmas vouchers. It does mean that they can go towards the next project though
 _GOTOTOP