_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Kajika plastic models
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:09 AM UTC
I thought this was a new company. http://freetimehobbies.com/1-700-kajika-ijn-kongo-1914-battleship-plastic-model-kit-preorder/ I called Brandon at Free Time and he told me Kajika is a division of Flyhawk models. The Kajika name will be exclusively for Japanese ships. Apparently the same quality as the other Flyhawk kits. This kit seems not to have PE included, and will probably come as a separate upgrade set.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:04 AM UTC
Actually a separate company, Japan Beaver Corporation and Flyhawk Model cooperated on the kit. Beaver provided the materials, Flyhawk developed the kit. Beaver exclusively sells in Japan and Flyhawk covers worldwide distribution. I think you are correct that upgrades will be made or anything already manufactured will work on this kit.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:21 AM UTC
Well, "Leave it to Beaver"! As long as it's made by Flyhawk is good enough for me.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually a separate company, Japan Beaver Corporation and Flyhawk Model cooperated on the kit.

Hmmm...differences of opinions; Tim Renaga also called Kajika a division of Flyhawk. Maybe like Trumpeter/Hobby Boss, and Dragon/Cyber Hobby.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:53 AM UTC
I suppose it could be called that...LOL I spoke with my contact at Flyhawk and asked him about this. He mentioned the collaboration and how things were set up. I thought it was going to be one of those kits only offered in Japan. I would still like to see the kit...with development by Fyhawk, I think would think the quality would be right up there with their own.
ch_hoeltge
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:07 PM UTC
At lest Mike from Starling models got a preorder from me.
There will be also some aftermarket available. And if I understand him right he all orderd it from Flyhawk.

Let's see. Att least I have to finish my 1941 Kongo first.

Greetings Christian
MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:03 PM UTC
The kit has just arrived and I can confirm that it is well up to Flyhawk standards, possibly even surpassing the recent releases. Will be in touch shortly Christian but it will be available in the Starling Models shop very shortly. By the way, there is no etch in the kit but this is available separately as are barrels, wooden deck and deck masking sheet.

Mike
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC
Somehow Flyhawk/Kajika has managed to mold the masts with spars attached - not only that, but they are very delicate and taper towards the tips. The wood deck has most of the bits already punched out, saving a lot of time, and ready to slap onto the mode. Flyhawk is really showing the other companies how it's done!
ch_hoeltge
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 01:48 PM UTC
Yes Flyhawk is showing what is possible today.
They use a lot of slidemold and that gives details and saves you a lot of time during construction. Trumpeter for example made the same with multiple parts. That give you details, the qaulity of the plastic is bad and you need a lot of cleaning. And after glueing it togehter a lot of filling and sanding.

So I'm looking forward to more kits from Flyhawk and Kajika. I will possibly start my Kongo in March, April. And from Flyhwak the Duke of York and Prince of Wales are to come in may-june, while Illustrious and Koenigsberg are to come september-november.

Greetings Christian
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:13 PM UTC
I've just started actually applying Kajika's wood deck. It is the thinnest I've seen - and that's where a problem lies. So far, I've used the wood parts for the smallest superstructure decks. The wood doesn't separate easily from the backing, and fine sections tend to disintegrate - and that's with a surgical blade and two fine tweezers (yeah, I've got three hands!) . Infini's decking is equally fine but held up much better.
The Kajika larger deck sections might prove to be a real nightmare. More on that later.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:18 AM UTC
Just got the main deck and quarter deck installed. Very little problem. But the main deck is so thin and long it's like handling fly paper. I think the problem with the small deck pieces is that there was not enough wood holding them together so they just fell apart.
 _GOTOTOP