_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Takao Question
Black3Actual
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:00 AM UTC
OK, so those who know me know that I pretty much build 1/35 armor, but I need a break and 1/350 ships have always interested me. But I don't know anything much about ships, so I hope someone can give me a hand, please.

I would like to build the late war green scheme on the Takao, but I keep reading that the 1945 Takao was different from the 1942 kit version I found. Can anyone tell me what is different between them and if it is possible to get to the 1945 fitting from the 1942 version without major surgery?

Thanks for putting up with a newb.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:40 AM UTC
Firstly welcome to the network.

Second. unlike armour and aircraft of the time ships go through refits during their 'long' life, some planned, some takes place when they come in for repairs to damage taken during actions. So looking at Takao this is what I can tell you.

26 July 1943:
Arrives at Yokosuka. 28 July 1943:
Enters dock. Undergoes refit and modification. Two triple mount Type 96 25-mm AA guns are installed bringing their total to 18 barrels.

15 November 1943:
Drydocked for battle-damage repairs, refit and modifications. Eight single mount 25-mm AA guns are installed and a Type 22 surface-search radar is fitted.

26 June 1944:
Refit and modification at Kure. Four triple and 22 single mount 25-mm. AA guns are installed bringing their total to 60 barrels. A Type 13 air-search radar is also fitted.

As to locations of the extra AA you would need to consult plans/drawings. There may also have been other mods carried out to make room for the extra AA, things removed or extra platforms added.

If you can get a copy I highly recommend this book:
The Heavy Cruiser Takao (Anatomy of the Ship)
By Janusz Skulski
ISBN 10: 0851779743 / ISBN 13: 9780851779744
Black3Actual
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks, for both the welcome and the help. I have those books coming now. I also looked into this a bit and discovered that Aoshima DID make the 1944 version of Takao -- but I can't find one anywhere. So I guess the next step is to start looking and gathering things together while I do.

Until then, I think I'll try my hand at the Roma. I'm sure that, by the time I get her done (IF I can get her done), I should have my 1944 Takao and all the after market stuff to build her in her late war scheme.

Thanks again,

Joe
 _GOTOTOP