These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
Smooth Water - need advice
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:09 PM UTC
I'd like to create a 6" x 20" frame that will hold my 1:350 scale liberty ship in calm water, similar to being within a breakwater. I'm trying to find an easy, yet inexpensive material, to use without dying from fumes. This would be my 1st diorama. Any suggestions?
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hi Fright,

I used silicon glue to do water for my IJN I-58 diorama, it gives a breezy day look but is very very easy to use.

This nice man gives a great tutorial,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOpc8Q6a7M

This is what I used to make this:
Left is before water, Right is after

It was also my first try, its interesting, definitely practice before you commit,
Bryan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:34 PM UTC
I've used clear gloss acrylic paste, available at artist supply stores. Paint your base first, whatever water color you want - blue, or green, then brush on the acrylic paste. It's opaque white at first, but dries clear, and is practically oderless. It's thick enough to form small waves and ripples as ocean water is rarely dead flat. Painting the base first gives an impression of depth rather than just painting the water surface. You're not making any great depth with the acrylic paste - only a couple of millimeters thick. For an even more glossy surface, brush on a coat of acrylic varnish.
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:09 PM UTC
Brian and Biggles - Thanks for the info and the link on youtube. I have plenty of cardboard in different thickness and have a picture of Golden Gate Bridge that measures 20" in length by 8" high for background.

Do you know, should I mount ship 1st and work around, or build water and try to cut out? She is a full ship but I want her to look like she is in the water leaving the bay.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:34 PM UTC
I think you should water-line your model first, as neither effect is for building a water depth for a full-hull ship. Don't use cardboard as a base as it will just warp and buckle from the moisture of either medium. Just spread or brush whichever medium you want to use on the base (not cardboard!); the medium will take a few hours to dry so you can place your water-lined ship where you want it. Both silicon and acrylic paste, when dry, become a very strong glue to hold the model afterward. While the medium is setting up you can model any waves, ripples, etc.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:42 PM UTC
This is an example of just gloss acrylic paste. No more than 2mm deep, with a gloss acrylic varnish brush applied after the paste set up. Paint the base water-color first, then apply the clear medium on top.

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:25 PM UTC
Biggles - thanks for this! This is exactly the type of water effect I'm looking for! This looks like a real picture - amazing. Cheers!
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Guys ,here is my first attempt at calm water regular wall paint with stipple effects

image hosting free
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
Ken - that came out really nice!
 _GOTOTOP