Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Bluenose - wood schooner by Scientific
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 02:33 AM UTC
Almost finished with deck fittings. Installed cross bits; compass housing; water casks; belaying pins in fife rails; engine housing for windlass; chain box; kedge anchor ( still needs chain); both masts in place ( for fitting purpose ).

Removed by original poster on 03/21/17 - 23:36:25 (GMT).
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 04:45 AM UTC

Hey Robert, your build is looking good!

I took the liberty of reposting your last pictures a little larger so viewers can better appreciate your skills. If you remove the word "thumbs" from your pictures in future posts they too will appear full sized.

Keep up the good work!

Tim

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 07:31 PM UTC
Tim Reynaga - very kind of you to re-format pics for me. Just when I think I know how all of this works, I find I've overlooked that last piece of 'cheese'! LOL Many Thanks!!! For my 1st wooden ship, I'm thankful I started off with a pretty basic kit to work with. It's a great medium and a good way to develop one's skills in fabricating parts. I put my Revell Constitution on hold but I already have my sights on another wooden kit that would entail planking and framing. Thanks goes out to many of the people in the forums who have taken a look and offered greatly appreciated advice. Cheers!
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 - 03:11 AM UTC
Started work on the jaws for the mainsail boom and gaff. I had 4 split on me before someone suggested I try cutting a different way with the grain of wood. DUH LMAO

Also cut my 4 mast top braces needed. Braces and jaws to be painted white.

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:55 AM UTC
Slow but steady work. I'm still trying to make my davits and need to pick up chain for anchors and windlass, so I started work on main mast. Attached my braces to main mast; added the trestletrees and crosstrees; drilled holes and inserted eyebolts; affixed the top main mast with two caps. Will finish painting that area white and re-stain the top mast.

I cannot figure out why suddenly my photos are coming out so small. I see the word 'thumbnail' on the left side of picture when I download, but it will not allow me to remove. Any help appreciated!

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 04:38 PM UTC
Robert,
The trick is to not use the URL for the linked thumbnail. Instead, click the little icon to the right of that (looks like a picture with a chain on it) and then copy the URL labeled HTML CODE that appears below that. If you paste the HTML code into your post the photos will appear full-size.

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 05:47 PM UTC
Mark C - thanks for explaining my error that I keep repeating on posting photos!

Oh yes - Eureka!!!
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
I made my 1st 'big blunder' yesterday with the main mast. The plans called only for the saddles and mast caps. I wanted more detail and added the trestletree and crosstree EXCEPT, they are backwards to what they should be! I used both CA and wood glue to adhere to the mast, so now I'm off to pick up some Acetone Nail Polish remover to try and undo my mistake. sorry picture is blurred.

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 - 06:04 AM UTC
While making a jig for my rope coils, I put too much pressure on the drill bit and it snapped - sending the drill bit through my fingernail into my left index finger. !@*% After clean up, I finished my foremast and mainmast-minus rigging. A close up of my rope coil on kedge anchor and coiled rope on a belaying pin.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 - 03:55 PM UTC
Yikes, Robert!

But still shaping up nicely!

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 04:43 PM UTC
Thanks Mark and a good holiday weekend!

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
I added lines to the bowsprit and then glued two thin strips of wood along the top of bowsprit. I realized the anchor would be in the way of the dead eyes, so I re-positioned it slightly forward and then attached it to the davit. I cut and stained my pin rails and glued them to the railing for belaying pins to hold rigging lines.

JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 11:53 PM UTC
Very nice work and almost there, as it looks! She looks great, a wonderful small ship and great work!!

Cheers,
Jan
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
Started work on rigging the foremast. Seized both lower and upper shroud lines and attached to mast. Added two blocks near the top of mast for stay lines. Completed my ratlines on the upper shroud lines - much easier than I thought. * Special thanks to David Kump's Youtube video "How To Tie Ratlines On A Model Ship".

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2017 - 06:37 AM UTC
Slowly coming together. Did a test run with masts, boom and gaff in place for fitting only - not glued. Still working on boom and gaff for foremast and a few other items on ship's deck.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:27 PM UTC
Shaping up nicely, Robert. That's going to look great on the mantel!

Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks Marc - I think when I complete this build, I'm going to enclose it in a case and present it to my little grandson who was fascinated with this kit while he visited with us last March. He helped me with the seat in the dories and soaked my line in 50/50 white glue mix to make the rope coils.
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:33 AM UTC
Ok - Got some more work done today on schooner. Attached the masts to deck using bubble level and protractor. Have about 5 degree tilt to stern with masts. Anchored my lower shroud lines to the lanyards. Next step, seizing and ratlines.
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 07:55 AM UTC
It has been some time since I last posted in here. I've made some headway on my Bluenose. I plan on using furled sails and have my standard rigging in place. I purchased some ultralight natural colored muslin to use for my sails. So here's where I have left off:

Well, I guess not. Cannot figure out how to post pics with my message. Any help on this one?
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hello Robert,

Thanks for all your posts!

I was wondering, where did you get your lightweight muslin material for your sails? I'm thinking of using cloth for the sails on my HMS Victory. I've looked at the fabric stores, and I'm definitely leaning towards muslin fabric, as opposed to some cotton material that is "bedsheet white"! The muslin I found is a great color, but the feel of the material isn't quite what I like.

Thanks,
Tim
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 03:15 AM UTC
Tim - I purchased my muslin at Joannes Fabrics. Another modeler by the name of Landlubber Mike mentioned it on a post he has on doing furled sails. His post is really informative along with good quality photos. His post was inn NGR. I chose the natural color instead of white (too harsh) and it is very lightweight and not transparent. Smooth sailing on your project Tim and thanks for stopping by!
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 03:25 PM UTC

Photo 1: Standard rigging line in place.
Photo 2: Foresail with boom and gaff attached to foremast.
Photo 3: Looking from bow to stern with two furled sails in place.

TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 04:38 PM UTC
Robert,

Your Bluenose is beautiful, absolutely beautiful - it is a new pleasure to look at with every update. Thanks for sharing your delightful build with us!
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 03:06 AM UTC
Tim - I appreciate your comment on this kit. This 'old' inexpensive kit has taught me some valuable skills which I will use to move on to my next wooden kit. I have placed my Revell 'Connie' on a back burner while working on this schooner but have really taken a liking to working with wood. *** must work on my Constitution!. I've looked at many a Bluenose builds and I have tried to go that 'extra mile' with adding little details to this starter kit.

I also want to thank some fantastic modelers who have offered tips and advice along my path with this model! I still have a ways to go before I am finished but, thanks to sites like these, I've come quite a ways from my 1st kit in 2011. Cheers to all!!!

p.s. Can you tell me how I can upload this picture to use as my Avatar? I've tried and tried with no results! Thanks!!!