_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
USS ESSEX
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Last month, I bought Dragon's 1:700 USS ESSEX from Art Rohloff, but he has told me that he gave the kit's plane away to another modeler. So, as soon as I got the kit from Art, I bought an after-market plane set in 1:700 on Ebay (from a place in Japan). The set has 10 each of F4-Us, F6-Fs, SBC2s and TBFs. Kyle Lord has agreed to build the kit for me.

Now, on Tracy White's excellent website, he said that, in 1944, the ESSEX had F6-Fs, TBFs and SBCs. So, if I have Kyle put 5 F6-Fs, 5 TBFs and 5 SBCs on the flight deck, that'd be acccurate?

Additionally, off of Amazon, I bought a SKYWAVE 1:700 USN Equipment set which has 5-inch/38s, 20mms and quad-40mms, radars and life boats and floats, and anchors and fire directors for the 5-inch/38s (I guess). What radars did the ESSEX have in 1944? And, did she have quad-40s in 1944?

Thank you,

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC

Well, Kyle has started work on two of the three projects he took home with him on Sunday. Here’s what he said, “Starting to get the wheels in motion. I'm studying the Essex and waiting for your parts to come up with my approach. I did however drill all the portholes out. Not a big deal but it gives the model a nice touch. I sanded the PTC and applied primer. It's real deal 2-part primer courtesy of my job. A few pinholes to address but nothing major.”
Here are some photos:

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:40 PM UTC
Kyle sent me an update on the ESSEX build, and this is what he said; “made some progress on the Essex last evening. The island is mostly together not including radar and gun directors, the lower deck is installed too.”
Here are two pictures:

Tim
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Last month, I bought Dragon's 1:700 USS ESSEX from Art Rohloff, but he has told me that he gave the kit's plane away to another modeler. So, as soon as I got the kit from Art, I bought an after-market plane set in 1:700 on Ebay (from a place in Japan). The set has 10 each of F4-Us, F6-Fs, SBC2s and TBFs. Kyle Lord has agreed to build the kit for me.

Now, on Tracy White's excellent website, he said that, in 1944, the ESSEX had F6-Fs, TBFs and SBCs. So, if I have Kyle put 5 F6-Fs, 5 TBFs and 5 SBCs on the flight deck, that'd be acccurate?

Additionally, off of Amazon, I bought a SKYWAVE 1:700 USN Equipment set which has 5-inch/38s, 20mms and quad-40mms, radars and life boats and floats, and anchors and fire directors for the 5-inch/38s (I guess). What radars did the ESSEX have in 1944? And, did she have quad-40s in 1944?

Thank you,

Tim

Garth,
Your question depends on when you want to depict the Essex. My father was a plankholder, coming aboard in November 1942, before she was commissioned on Dec 31st 1942. As the first ship in her class, she was slightly different from all her sisters in several ways. However the entire class had subtle differences between ships. The model you are having built has the wrong radar for the Essex-- she was fitted with SC and SK-1 radars throughout most of her WWII career-- your model has the SK-2 round radar, which was fitted to the later ships of her class. As for the air wing, she departed Norfolk for sea trials in February 1942 equipped with F6F Hellcats, TBF Avangers and SBD Dauntless dive bombers in VF-9, VT-9 and VB-9 airwings. She didn't get SB2Cs until after her April 1944 refit in San Francisco. As for armament, she had the four twin 5 inch turrets, and quad 40mm guns, single 20mm guns and open 5 inch mounts. As I said, there were subtle differences between ships. Dragons 1/700 kit is more of a generic hull (for the early class ships) the early USS Essex and late USS Essex didn't change that much during the war, although a 40mm mount was moved on the bridge and some armament was added in later refits after 1944. She kept the same camouflage measure during the war too, which was different from the rest of the ships in her class. The expert on the Essex class is really Tracy White, who has done a ton of research in the National Archives and in Navy resources on the class. I recommend you talk to him about the Essex. My father served in VT-9 from August 1942-April 1944, through the Gilberts and early Marianas campaings. He had many sea stories about the early war years. Many folks don't realize the early Essex did U-boat patrols in the Atlantic during work ups before shipping out to the Pacific, actually losing some aircrew in the process.
VR, Russ
Removed by original poster on 02/12/17 - 19:01:40 (GMT).
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi Russ,

Thank you. Yeup. Kyle and I are in constant contact with yonder Sire Tracy of the House of White.

In regard to your "She kept the same camouflage measure during the war too, which was different from the rest of the ships in her class." After talking with Kyle, and Tracy, I am going to have Kyle use the gray and black scheme, I like that one.

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:26 AM UTC
Kyle just sent me an update. I started on this rear bulkhead on the Essex. It's mocked up in place I was checking the fit to make sure everything looked alright.
Here’s a picture:

Tim
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,

Thank you. Yeup. Kyle and I are in constant contact with yonder Sire Tracy of the House of White.

In regard to your "She kept the same camouflage measure during the war too, which was different from the rest of the ships in her class." After talking with Kyle, and Tracy, I am going to have Kyle use the gray and black scheme, I like that one.

Tim

Garth,
Up until her San Francisco refit in April 1944, Essex was clad in Measure 21, blue gray. According to Faltum's "Essex Class Carriers book, she was then painted in Measure 32/6-10 D, with Blue stain on the flight deck and dashed lines in black, elevators outlined in yellow.
VR, Russ
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:22 AM UTC
Kyle sent me an update on the ESSEX build earlier today. This is what he said, “I got the port side hangar doors on the ESSEX. I also got a few side pieces in place. Tonight, I'll get a few more side pieces in.”

Tim
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC
Tim,
After doing more research, I found a chart in Fultom's book on the Essex class. Fultom purports that the Essex only spent from April 1944 to 25 November 1944 in the gray and black measure 32 camouflage. She was hit by a Kamikaze on Nov 25th, and went to Ulithi for repairs where Fultom said she may have been re-painted back to Measure 21, which was the scheme she wore when commissioned (blue-gray). In his tables at the end of the book, Fultom also shows she received the SK-2 dish type radar in March 1945. I have several references for the class, including my father's recollections, but he left the ship during the April 44 refit. The only thing I can say for sure is there are lots of diverging info on the details. There are reports she finished the war in Measure 21, so if you are using that dish shaped SK-2 Radar, the gray and black scheme may or may not be accurate, if that matters to you. She was the only ship of her class to retain the 5 radio masts on the starboard side throughout the war. Tracy has done a massive amount of research on the Essex Class, and I would defer to him. Just some more info for you to digest.
VR, Russ
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
Kyle sent me an update on the ESSEX today … Here is what he said, “I got a couple more parts on the Essex last night. The front walls and a side piece where doors go. I couldn't help but put the deck on and put some Corsairs on there. I figured we weren't using those so I could cut them off the sprue.”

Here are five pictures:

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 07:58 PM UTC
Kyle sent me an update on my USS ESSEX build, and this is what he said, “Trying to pick up where I left off on the Essex, I filled the seam where the hulk meets the upper portion and sanded. I'm going to spot prime the seam and make sure it's faired in properly.”

Here are some photos:

ESSEXBUILD18 by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

ESSEXBUILD19 by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

ESSEXBUILD20 by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

ESSEXBUILD21 by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

ESSEXBUILD22 by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

ESSEXBUILD23 by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hello Guys,

Just confirming something.

The USS ESSEX, CV-9, ... When did she wear Measure 33-10A? 80-G-170025 says 1-19-1944.

Pattern_sheet%2C_MS-33_10A_for_Essex_class by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

And, the Mariana’s Turkey Shoot took place on June 19th and 20th, 1944. So – would Measure 33-10A be accurate for the ESSEX during that operation?

Tim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi,

A modeler named Scott Dunn just told me that ESSEX was in Measure 32-6D at the time of the Mariana’s Turkey Shoot …

20375724_10211989003614237_3832709988110055193_n by Tim Connelly, on Flickr

Tim
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 12:57 AM UTC
The measure 32 scheme was applied in April 1944. Navsource has photos showing the tower with round radar on April 15, 1944. There is a good detail shot showing upgrades made at that time.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hmmm... April 15th 1944 is the Day Essex reported to SF for refit. That's the day my Dad boarded a train from SF to Sand Point Washington, having spent 14 Months aboard Essex. I can't vouch for Essex radar after April 15 1944, but Faltom's book on Essex class carriers shows the round SK-2 radar as coming aboard in March 1945, which makes sense, as the first ships of the class had the SK-1 and SC radars. As for paint schemes, Essex had the Measure 21 scheme up until April 1944 for sure. And it appears she may have finished the war in Measure 21 since she might have been repainted after the Kamikaze hit in November 1944. Maybe Tracy can narrow down the exact dates of repaints. If she was in Measure 32, it would have been at the time of the Marianas though.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 05:48 AM UTC
Garth,
The 1/19/44 date on the paint chart is the date the chart was updated/approved-- not necessarily the date Essex was repainted-- that likely would have been done during the April 1944 Refit in SF. What's the source of the page you are using with the paint charts?-- Faltums book said paint scheme 33 10A was approved by Everett Warner on 1/19/44 for the "CV-9 Class". According to Faltom, she did receive a new bridge design, and that's when the forward island 40mm mount was removed, and additional 40mm mounts were added.
VR, Russ
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
Russ,

Thanks. But, Kyle - thanks to Tracy White - has what info he'll need ... I'm really looking forward to see more in progress shots of this project and then, the finish project. But, here's a question; for the rigging, would you use invisible fishing line?

Tim/Garth

Quoted Text

Garth,
The 1/19/44 date on the paint chart is the date the chart was updated/approved-- not necessarily the date Essex was repainted-- that likely would have been done during the April 1944 Refit in SF. What's the source of the page you are using with the paint charts?-- Faltums book said paint scheme 33 10A was approved by Everett Warner on 1/19/44 for the "CV-9 Class". According to Faltom, she did receive a new bridge design, and that's when the forward island 40mm mount was removed, and additional 40mm mounts were added.
VR, Russ

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 01:55 AM UTC
Coming along nicely sir,will be following.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ,

Thanks. But, Kyle - thanks to Tracy White - has what info he'll need ... I'm really looking forward to see more in progress shots of this project and then, the finish project. But, here's a question; for the rigging, would you use invisible fishing line?

Tim/

Tim,
1/700 is pretty small, I'd recommend the stretchy EZ line used for model RR telephone wire from Berkshire Junction-- they make several colors and thickness'. I used it to rig my 1/350 scale Essex, including the five folded radio antennas along the flight deck. However, you need to be careful not to overstretch it so it doesn't bend plastic masts. I replace the plastic masts on my ships with brass masts just to avoid this. I'd think invisible fishing line might be a little out of scale for 1/700, but if you can find something around 2lb test leader, it might work. The EZ line from Berkshire Junction is easy to glue and apply with a tiny drop of superglue.
VR, Russ
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC
OK. Thank you, Russ.
 _GOTOTOP