_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Warspite PE
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Model Shipwrights: 81 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC
I purchased the 1:350 WEM photo etch on Ebay for $40.00.they state it is only for the Academy brand Warspite model? so this is the PE without the wood deck. question is anyone out there use this on the Trumpeter Warspite? I am mainly interested in the rigging parts. sure wish I had bought the Academy premium edition
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:07 PM UTC
No the WEM PE does not come with a wooden deck. Most of the PE from WEM should work with the Academy kit unless either kit is way out of scale between the two. The railings should mostly fit, but you made have to make up for any differences between deck layouts of the two kits. Doors, porthole features, cable reels, etc should work just fine.
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:07 AM UTC
Try to get a copy of the Academy instructions. I used the PE for the Trumpeter 1/700 Hood on the Tamiya version and there were differences!
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No the WEM PE does not come with a wooden deck. Most of the PE from WEM should work with the Academy kit unless either kit is way out of scale between the two. The railings should mostly fit, but you made have to make up for any differences between deck layouts of the two kits. Doors, porthole features, cable reels, etc should work just fine.

Excellent response I have no need for the wooden deck. thank for your input.
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:06 PM UTC
Since no one has bothered to release a photo etch set exclusively for the Trumpeter kit, I ended up getting the MK.1 Design HMS Warspite DX MD-35022 set.

This set came with a wooden deck, which you choose to use or not use, but it came with some good photo etch and a set of brass turned gun barrels.

For what is included, it is good value when compared to the PE set-only options from other manufacturers.

Not sure if it is wholly dedicated to the Trumpeter kit, but I guess I'll find out once the build commences.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:11 AM UTC
I checked out this kit on Scalemates and it showing it could be used on either the Trumpeter or Academy kits. It is not a cheap kit so I hope you can use all of it on your model.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:22 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, other than a Revelle Uboat this is my first ship since I am a Navy veteran this subject is quite special to me. I so very much admire the Royal navy, I have good memories of having a few.....well, maybe a lot of beer with the guys from back then.
 _GOTOTOP