_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Recommendation 1/700 Mogami or Ise
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi all,

looking to tackle my first 1/700 waterline kit and try out techniques for creating sea/wave effects I recently read in FSM (April '16 I think)

That said, i've always liked the design of the IJN cruiser/carriers. I'm up for trying either the Mogami or Ise in 1/700.
Any thoughts on kit quality, etc of what's available currently or listed on ebay? I've searched and found a few reviews. I see that Haswgawa, Fujimi and Tamiya do these kits.
I'm looking to keep it mostly a weekend model project - OOB and maybe just a simple PE set. I like the look of those IJN carrier/cruisers - rather spend the weekend building one of those instead of doing a simple 1/700 destroyer.

My larger goal is to spend more of my time learning how to do the 'sea base' sculpting waves, working with acrylics, coloring, trying to keep gesso off the dog, etc, etc....

Thanks for any tips!

Peter

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Peter,

Both Tamiya's newer 1/700 Mogami and Hasegawa's Ise (again, the more recent release rather than their version from the 1970s) would both be great choices. The Ise might be slightly simpler because she never shipped an airgroup, but the Mogami was, IMHO, a more attractive and historically significant ship - although she did have a ton of airplanes aboard. Either way, you can't go wrong!
 _GOTOTOP