_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Yet another Hybrid Battleship /Carrier.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
Interesting, The french also had plans to convert the Battleship Jean Bart (Richelieu class) into a Hybrid Battleship/Carrier before 1940. The only picture of this that I have found is in the book Janes Battleships of the 20th century, by Bernard Ireland. By the looks of the picture, this would have made a hansom ship indeed! Drool, love to build a model of it!
Does anyone have any more information or pictures of this conversion?

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Garry, no I've never heard of this conversion. Bear in mind something, and I'm not being critical here. A friend of mine has very little respect for Jane's ship books. He says they have a LOT of conjecture and some plain old WAGs. He just says you have to take things with a REAL large grain of salt.

BTW, if you want to find out more about the possibility of this conversion check out [url]www.warships1.com[/rul] There is a great forum on that site, Battleship vs Battleship. You'll have to register in order to post. Once you do if you put your question there I just about guarantee somebody will have some info on it.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hello Rodger! I have been bouncing this question off several boards today, and I attend to agree with you on this. They say in the book that it was planned. Well lots of things are planned or thought of (an idea). The book dramatised it to much. I'm just a nut about Hybrid BB/CV's, one of these days I want to build a what if Battleship/Carrier. Maybe an Iowa class!
Hmmm! Just maybe.

Cheers bud!

Garry
 _GOTOTOP