_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Opinions on Tamiya Bismarck.
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 01:35 AM UTC
Ahoy there.(lame)
I have an opportunity to pick up the Large Tamiya Bismarck(1/350) kit for a fairly good price.
I realise it's an older kit but I'd be interested in any comments re fit, accuracy etc.

The Bismarck along with the Enterprise (ww2, CVN 65, CVN 80, NCC1701 )my fav ships with a passing interest in U-boats.but mainly I'm a figure guy.

TIA

CHRIS
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

I have read good things about the Tamiya Bismarck regarding accuracy, both in shape and outfit, it's real weakness is that is somewhat bland in detail. If that is not a big deal to you, or you don't mind putting in the work, (there is aftermarket out there for him) go for it.

Personally I went for the Revell kit, rumoured to be not quite as accurate, but definitely much better detailed.

have fun

Cheers

Si

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 04:31 AM UTC
Chris,
I agree with Si; the Revell kit is newer and has superior surface detailing, but Tamiya's 1970s-era Bismarck builds into an accurate and impressive model too. I actually like the Tamiya approach better myself, as any aftermarket etch doors, vents, etc. added to it would be finer and thus more accurate than the same details molded into the Revell plastic parts. Either kit, though, would be an excellent start!

By the way, you don't have to go large for your Bismarck; my 1/1200 scale Bismarck from the Airfix snap-together kit comes in at about eight inches in length, and it is a lot cheaper than either of the 1/350 versions!
move

all the best,
Tim
 _GOTOTOP