_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/192 or 1/200 non-slip decals/transfers?
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi friends,

Is anyone aware of 1/192 or 1/200 non-slip decals or transfers? I'm looking for a set (if one exists!) for my Bluejacket 1/192 Samuel B Roberts which I am building as DE 404 USS Eversole. Photos in my reference books do show non-slip pathways on the deck of these ships.

Thanks, and happy modelling!

-Andrew
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:18 PM UTC
I am a newbie at ship modelling, so I am afraid that I don't have anything to offer on transfers or decals. However, the real non-skid was made with either silica or sand mixed in the epoxy paint. Maybe the same could be simulated by using a small amount of baby powder or talc in diluted paint?

David
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am a newbie at ship modelling, so I am afraid that I don't have anything to offer on transfers or decals. However, the real non-skid was made with either silica or sand mixed in the epoxy paint. Maybe the same could be simulated by using a small amount of baby powder or talc in diluted paint?

David

In those scales, trying to simulate the non-slip surfaces with any kind if 3D effect will be difficult, and may not really work well, but I do have a suggestion, one that worked for me a few years ago when I built a commission of Revell's 1/72 scale Fletcher class destroyer. Using a computer with a graphics program, print dark gray panels in a sort of "dotted line" on clear decal paper. (I have Power Point, and there's a dotted line graphic that works perfectly). The ship I was working on had hundreds of separated panels for non-skid walkways-- if yours are one peice, just print a line of the appropriate width, cut to length and apply. A few years later, I was asked to build a 1/350 model of the USS Johnston, I just shrank the graphic, printed again, and had perfect non-skid walkways. Just a note-- when printing on decal paper, flat-coat the paper first to give your printer ink something to "bite", and after printing, if it's not dark enough, run it through the printer again. Don't forget to seal the decals with a coat of Micro- Scale decal solution after printing.
VR,Russ
 _GOTOTOP