_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Hobby Boss 1/700 Type VII B U-Boat (#87008)
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:19 AM UTC
Ahoi Model Shipwrights!

Today I begin a build of a Hobby Boss 1/700 U-boat, Type VII B to get my fingers working for a similar project I have in the making. I bought the kit off of eBay for like $6 shipped.

24 of this type were commissioned by the Kriegsmarine between 1936 and early 1941. An average of 46 sailors served on these boats, and they spent about 90% of their time on the surface. 66.5 meters in length, 753 tons, and capable of running submerged to 220m steaming at 8 knots. Their deadly payload of G7e torpedoes were tipped with a 280 Kg warhead that was designed to detonate by proximity under the keel of their prey.

This kit was released in 2007 from Hobby Boss out of China. It arrived packaged in a plastic bag, containing five smaller plastic bags, each with a single fret of plastic parts. One fret holding the conning towers was wrapped in protective foam (a nice touch).

The 4 inch long lower hull shows raised hull plate lines while the upper hull is devoid of any hull plates but does feature some incredibly sharp molding. I particularly like the railing. The conning towers are tiny little marvels. The kit provides two, so you can choose to build either a Type VII B and VII B2. The slide molding used is impressive, and there is only the smallest amount if flash visible on the railings. Considering they can fit on the head of a pencil eraser, it's not a real problem as far as I am concerned.

The guns, periscopes, etc. are all well done on fret "C". The screws and stern planes are impressive, as is the detail on the deck gun. It comes with a wee-little 3 piece stand with some nice markings on it. I may even use it!

I'll be painting this one to replicate a boat out of the Lorient pens in the winter of 1940. She'll be battle-weary, and showing her hard use--that is, if I can pull it off in such a small scale. Let's all find out together (NO POINTING AND LAUGHING)!

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 05:15 PM UTC
Nice find Christian! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the kit! It's been a while since I tackled a 1/700 scale sub....tiny bugger!! Bring on the fun!
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC
I got some building done last night.

Here's the hull halves going together.

A little Vallejo plastic putty was used to fill the gap. Fit was pretty poor, considering it was two, flat pieces. Hobby Boss could have done better.

Sanded and ready for the paint booth. I found it exceedingly difficult to not sand-away detail when smoothing it out.

A coat of Humbrol Panzer Grey.

And now masked off for the keel color.

I used Tamiya Nato Black.

I painted the base, even though I will probably not end up using it, and applied an overall wash of Tamiya panel liner in black to the sub.

Next up: Detail, seal, and weather!
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:56 PM UTC
I got her done last night (HUGE project, don'tchaknow?)

I started with small details--the deck gun, the AA gun, screws, shafts, and the deck. Next I applied some 502 oils and beat it up. I tried applying rigging, but only succeeded in snapping off the flag pole, and necessitating some repaint on the deck where I tried to drill and mount some lines. A quick seal with Vallejo satin varnish and she's ready for another patrol in the North Atlantic.

Build time was about an hour. Painting, stretched over 4 days took a grand total of 3 hours--including the weathering. Easily a weekend build (heck, you could build an entire wolfpack in a weekend). She's now perched on top of my monitor at work, and from 18 inches, it's a neat looking little model full of detail.

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 04:25 AM UTC
Well done Christian! Excellent little weekend project...thanks for sharing!!
ch_hoeltge
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 12:41 PM UTC
Nice model Christian.

I should try a submarine by myself.

Greetings Christian
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:53 AM UTC
Neat Job Christian.

Looks well detailed for a simple kit.

Weathering is subtle but adds real depth.

cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
A nice quick clean build here, Christian
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:13 PM UTC
That is a nice build. The modern subs go about the same pace. Thanks for sharing your time and work.

David
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a nice build. The modern subs go about the same pace. Thanks for sharing your time and work.

David

Thanks!

I've got a 90% painted HB 1/350 Greenville, and a Zvezda Kursk in the same scale still in the box. Going to pose them on the same display (you know, for "G*D D*MN that thing is huge" effect)
 _GOTOTOP