_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
USS Hawkbill SS 366 1945
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC
Quite some time ago I asked about colors for this particular sub. The Hawkbill was my Dad's boat.

I recently ran across an original 8x10 photo (now in my possession) of his boat.

Back of photograph:

A similar photo:

Close up of the conning tower:

Close up of the front gun:

"Nose art" with "meatballs:"

The nose art in color:

My questions:

There appear to be three colors on the sub - the deck, the conning tower and the 'body' below the deck, and then the bulges shown at the water line in the other picture.

What are those colors?

I count 14 "meatballs." Ships sunk? I'll need to go back and read the Captain's logs regarding the combat missions.

Anyhow, I believe I have everything on hand, with the exception of the correct paint colors, to finally build my Dad's boat. This will be the "base" to his funeral flag and awards and decorations.

I appreciate your help once again.

Mike
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Fantastic project you have planned! The personal connection makes this all the more special!

As for colors...I am going to direct you to Research @ large - http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/S19-7/ to start with. Tracy White has put together several documents regarding specific coloring of the fleet throughout and just after the war. There are some sections on 1945 listed. One the main page, there is a legend defining the measures.

Looking forward to seeing progress on your build...best of luck!

pria2022
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:35 AM UTC
I'd love this in 1/72nd!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 06:40 AM UTC
So, research at Researcher(at)Large and the below picture are indicating and showing two distinct colors: Light Gray and Dull Black. The lines between the colors in the B&W photo are too sharp and therefore indicate there was no counter-shading in this photo. This almost leads me to believe that the boat is "Parade Ground" ready...especially since it has the "nose art" and "meatballs" on the tower.

I'm also thinking that the 8x10 and the similar photo I posted were taken reasonably close together in time and from a different angle. Same day, same event - crew on deck, crew off deck?

So, those are the colors I'm going after.

Thoughts or opinions?

Mike
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 08:28 AM UTC
Only thoughts is that it is time for you to get building...LOL Solid approach on the colors...going to be a real looker when done!
 _GOTOTOP