_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
I have a question about waterlining a ship
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Guys-

My Koning just came in the mail today - and needless to say.. wow... I can't wait to get started. I have a few questions for the seasoned ship builders out there. This will be my first ship, so pardon the basic questions :-)

First off - I have done many armor models with PE, single link tracks, etc. so I'm not a novice at building kits in general..... please don't hold back on any techniques that might be pretty advanced - that is what I am after :-)

Question number one.... I want to make the Koning into a waterline display. How do I go about doing that. I was gonna drill a ton of tiny holes under the waterline then connect them with a razor saw. Would this work, or is there a better way to do it? Along those lines - the waterline is not marked on the hull - should I just go by pictures, or does somebody have the proper "depth" this baby sat in the water.

hehehe - Question number two....... What do you guys use for rigging? There seems to be a bunch of wires, etc. and the instructions just say "thin black wire". Is there some special trick to this? I would think that thread would be too thick - but I haven't looked closely at any thread lately - so maybe I'm off base on that.

Question number three..... How do you guys usually paint these kits? I would like to airbrush as much as possible - and the instructions are not in the best sequence for painting with an airbrush. Do you guys skip around to make the painting easier? I also got the Toms PE set for the kit, and would like some tips on painting that as well. Do you guys assemble and paint everything, PE included, or do you put the etch on last after the painting is done, then hand paint the PE?

hahaha - sorry about all the questions guys :-) I just read this post through...... I better stop now... lol

Any advice given would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks-
Jeff
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:46 PM UTC
Howdy Jeff! Questions? hey thats what we'er here for! If I may direct you to my selected link. it will take you to the Model Fleet. There go to Modeling tips and there is a how to article on cutting 1/350 Hulls to waterline.
About the PE, I save the railing for the very last. other parts like doors and hatches can be attached then painted over. One thing I keep in mind while painting is to paint all the big parts first. Starting with the hull, then the Superstructure, then the deck. Lot of the small parts such as AA guns , anchores and such I pre paint before attaching. then afterwords I can touch up with a brush. Wish I could help you with the rigging, but there are others more talented at that then I am! Oh yes, DOH! I paint most of the PE on the Fret before attaching!

HTH Jeff,

Garry
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:52 PM UTC
Jr:

Question number one: I have heard some use a scroll saw, or dremel tool to cut the hull.

Question two: I use monofliament fishing line or something the call invisable thread. Then once in place. you can color it with the tip of a sharpie marker.

Question three: Painting is th ereal trick here.. I usually separate the different components of the Ship.. Paint the hull. Put it aside. Then depending on how the instructions are laid out. Do one section at a time. I.E. aft section finish painting the entire section before mounting it to the hull.. It will be easier to manage that way. and if any glue mistakes are mand all that is needed is touch ups.. Same with fore deck and bridge sections..

I mount all pe and bits on the sections before putting the section on the hull.I paint the pe while it is still on the sprue. Then all that is needed is touch ups when bending it.

Hope all this makes sense and helps ya out. I hope others with more Ships under their belt will chime in so I might can learn too..
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
If you hold the Konig just right you can see the waterline id faintly raised. Cut along the bottom using masking tape as a guide. Score along it lightly at first then heavier and then you'll be able to just snap it off. If you're going to set it in water don't worry about if it's perfectly straight. read my articles here on armorama for more tips...Mike T

jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
Absolutely fabulous information guys :-) Just what I was looking for!!!

I appreciate the help so far on this... and I haven't even started building yet.... lol

I'm sure I'll have some more questions when I get going on my Konig and Tirpitz.

Many thanks!
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP