_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Crazy Question...
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
WARNING MATH IS INVOLVED!!!!
I am not good at math...so my brain hurt even to type the word "math"-- ouch. My question is this...I am gonna drill out the main guns on the Bismarck around 15-16 inches I believe? What would be the correct size hole to drill in 1/350 scale? I was gonna just eye-ball it and see if it looked "right" but with these parts I dont have too much room for error. Does 1 inch on the model ewual 350 inches on the ship? My ideal is to find a drill bit that is the about right size and drill only once.

Another question I have that is not so crazy is this...I have seen models where the false waves and camo patterns go over the water line and some models where the camo go up to, but not over the water line. Which is correct? I can try to find pictures if this question is a lil to confusing.

Sean
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
well for the first one, yes, 1 inch = 350 and the bismarck had 15" guns so that is .438inch in diameter. You might want to check me on that though
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
Perhaps 0.0438? Scunge? .438 inches is close to half an inch...that would be a one big main gun! How did you arrive at your calculation?

Sean
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
You're best bet is to find some reference books on the Bismarck and Tirpitz and eyeball the size of the muzzles. They both had 8x 15" guns, and in 1/350, that equates to a drill diameter of 3/70" or just over 1/35". I'm not sure how fine a drill bit selection you have, or how accurate an alleigning jig you can come up with to keep from punching through the side of the barrel, but if it were me, I think I'ld trust in the old combination of a new #11 X-acto blade and the Mk. 1a eyeball
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
yes sorry bout that, decimal in the wrong place.
 _GOTOTOP