_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
testing
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC
HAHA! I figured out how to post pics in the forums,,look out TreadHead!!
Now I can ask a question more effectively...towards the rear and front of the ship on the hull..there are many holes in the ship, you can see them in the pic as lil black holes...what exactly are the purpose of these?
Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:40 PM UTC
Howdy Sean, those are the port holes. Look at my Tirpitz in my gallery page 4, they will show up better on the model. (windows)

Cheers,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:58 PM UTC
Kind of hard to believe that a ship as powerful as the Bismarck had opeinings in the hull like this, but they did. Just not in the armor plate.

Ok Garry, a question for you, do you open up your port holes in the hull? If so doesn't light sign through from behind in a unrealistic manner?

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kind of hard to believe that a ship as powerful as the Bismarck had opeinings in the hull like this, but they did. Just not in the armor plate.

Ok Garry, a question for you, do you open up your port holes in the hull? If so doesn't light sign through from behind in a unrealistic manner?

Nope, I use my BB gun LOL! Sorry Rodger could'nt resist. What I do is paint the hull, then paint in the port holes with flat black. Then after it dries, I drybrush the hull color over the tops of the port holes. That leaves the black in the holes, and there high lighted. Works great with windows on the superstructure to!

Cheers,
Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 03:55 PM UTC
Here is another silly question...what is the purpose of portholes? To me it doenst make sense to have holes to look out of....and I often see pics with water draining out of them as the ship moves through water so whats the deal?
As for the port holes on my Bismarck I drilled them out...I will add a piece of stock plastic inside to prevent "see through effect" I will also have a pic up soon of it.

Sean
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what is the purpose of portholes?

One word, ventilation. This is before wide spread use of air conditioning. This is just a theory, but I think British ships had more port holes than anybody, probably because of their need to operated in all climates.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hmmm very interesting Halfyank...I never thought of ventilation here is my Bis so far..the pics are a lil poor..Im just getting the hang of photographing models

I have not yet finished sanding the hull but I have finished drilling out the portholes...not the best pics but I'm eager to post pics of my work...

Sean

Ps-- oops, you can see both pics in my gallery
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:01 AM UTC
Many years ago I asked one of my uncles how come they were called port holes. I don't know if the answer is true or not but he told me that the name means just what it implies, port hole. A hole to allow air in when in port.
 _GOTOTOP