_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Is free Lindberg Bismarck worth building?
oyoy23
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 04:16 PM UTC
Just asking I think I have the Tamiya kit as well
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 05:29 PM UTC
Those two kits exist in different universes. The Tamiya Bismarck is, even as old as it is, an excellent model kit that can build into a realistic replica. The Lindberg Bismarck is more of a toy.

That said, I had great fun building and blowing up the Lindberg Hood as a kid. And free is a great price for a Lindberg Bismarck!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:36 PM UTC
Probably a great test-bed for developing scratch-building techniques...until you're fed up with it!
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That said, I had great fun building and blowing up the Lindberg Hood as a kid. And free is a great price for a Lindberg Bismarck!

I too, blew up the Hood. I was like 15, made a black powder bomb out of a Co2 canister, and put it amidships with a long fuse.

When we conceived the plan, it was going to be like a scene from Das Boot, with a huge plume of water.

Instead, when I lit the fuse and shoved her off into the quarry pond, it made a nice, slow turn right back to the shore. We all ran, but in a steep-sided quarry there was really no where to go.

It exploded and of course, the blast went up and out. There was no plume of water, just a flash of smoke and a LOT of plastic flying around (with some metal shrapnel, too...).

35 years later, I still have a scar on my leg from my Lindberg MHS Hood...
 _GOTOTOP