_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
MERIT 1/200TH MIKASA
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Seriously considering adding this to my stash, but I haven't seen any reviews or comments on the kit, if anybody has got or seen one, would be grateful for your opinions.

Cheers

Si
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 04:57 AM UTC
Si,

My opinion is that you should build it. Even if the kit is complete crap, you'd manage to make a fine job of it!

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:58 PM UTC
Thanks for that vote of confidence Tim,

I have the Hasagawa 1/350 kit, which I am intending to build in overall grey Russo Japanese war scheme, and was thinking od the 1/200th kit in her pre war scheme.

I would like some idea if I am letting myself in for before I weaken and decide to part with some cash.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:23 AM UTC
I would like to see you build it 1/200 scale. It is probably more manageable in that scale than some of the other 200scale ships. Is there photo etch available for it?

cheers
Michael

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:22 AM UTC
Just do it, Si

you know you wanna

PS. Michael, if there isn't PE for it yet, you can bet there soon will be
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks Michael and Russ.

There is the usual "Full Monty" upgrade from Pontos, which does look interesting to say the least.

I am considering this, because I do have a soft spot for predreads and it should be an easier intro to this scale then the Hood.

That said, I would still like an idea of what I am letting myself in for before I finally surrender and splash the cash.

Cheers

Si
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:49 AM UTC
Si

Go for it!!!

We are all behind you!!

Dave
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Michael and Russ.

There is the usual "Full Monty" upgrade from Pontos, which does look interesting to say the least.

I am considering this, because I do have a soft spot for predreads and it should be an easier intro to this scale then the Hood.

That said, I would still like an idea of what I am letting myself in for before I finally surrender and splash the cash.

Cheers

Si

I know what you mean Si.

1/200 is a big outlay, not just the kit, but the AM and the amount of paint required plus all the other bits... Nearly doubling the cost of a 1/350 build...

My personal preference is 1/350 and I doubt I'll ever stray from the scale: Hasegawa's Mikasa and Pontos upgrade in 1/350 are tempting me even as I type!

Hasegawa and Pontos are a known quantity.

Taking the plunge on a 1/200 unknown kit will be a leap of faith at this point-depends how committed you are to building a fleet of 1/200 ships.

Also, how soon do you plan to build it. If you can wait, no doubt reviews will start to appear and prices will start to drop as model shops start to discount...
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:59 PM UTC
Thanks Dave,

Appreciate that mate, It is very flattering to have so much support on this site.

I have a feeling that I will do this thing.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

I am the guy that was never going to build anything but 1/700th, that went well

Then I was only going 1/350th, that went well too.... not.

A number 1/144 U boats and Flower, coastal craft and mini subs 1/72 and 1/35

The Mikasa in 1/200th will be shorter than a KGV or Bismarck, maybe a bit beamier and somewhat taller.

I don't know about a fleet, likely there may be one or two others, but a predread is a little smaller and less than going in on something like the Hood in that scale.

I am thinking of ordering the kit through a mate of mine who is a small trader, usually gets me a good price. No timescale as of yet, may go for delivery either at the Brampton show in late September or Telford, but I do need to give him a bit of notice, hence asking questions now.

Also if Pontos are going to be at Telford, likely arrange the upgrade for delivery there, usually get a bit of a discount.

Cheers

Si

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:34 AM UTC
I see your dilemma mate.

Since you can pick up the kit and the pontos for a good price, maybe take the chance... Merit seem to do hit the mark quite often and since Mikasa is still extant there's a good chance the kit will be accurate.

Hm, I've heard about some of those 1/200 kits being humongous! (Hood, Missouri etc) But Mikasa sounds more reasonable.

Of course, you're going to have post your build here though, so we can all live vicariously through you
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
Si,

I second Russell's comments...

Dave
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi Russ and Dave

I am properly hooked on the idea now, I sort of was when I asked the initial question, the one thing that could have put me off was finding an awful review of the kit (Very unlikely with merit, as you said).

I have the Hood, and received the Pontos upgrade through the post today, and I want to get the feel of the scale before I pluck up the courage to stat that build.

I will be contacting my mate shortly so he has time to get me a price.

Thanks Russ, Dave, Tim and Michael for your input and Support.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Si

glad to be of assistance-that's the great thing about the MSW community.

Just been browsing the pontos website as they seem to have the only close up pics of the 1/200 Mikasa available at this time.

The moldings look crisp and the details seem good. If it's anything like their 1/350 Ark Royal, then it should be a good purchase.

You could of course always request a look in the box before parting with your readies I'll often do that at our annual hobby expo-the traders seem to be more than happy to oblige.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:36 PM UTC
Glad to see take the plunge and having seen your post on the Hood set you'll be bending brass for a long time.

I will say I would think the Pontos set for Mikasa will be more complex than for Hood going by there 350 scale set for the Hasegawa kit that I have on my shelf reminding me I have unfinished business. The torpedo net shelves were artwork in themselves.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:29 PM UTC
I have the odd peek at that too Russ,

It does look good, as does the Pontos set. Looking at other Merit kits too, they are pretty sharp.

And of course there is great resource of friendly advise and support in the MSW community as you say.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Not sure I would agree, I recall the issues with the net shelves, but the design is different on the 1/200th set. I could however be wrong! But being of scientific mind, there is only one way to find out

The Hood set has a lot more to it, and the breakdown of the kit makes planning of the assembly, fitting of some of the wood deck, masking and spraying of the major hull components interesting to say the least.

That said, as always appreciate your insight Mate.

Would be glad to see some more Progress on your Mikasa when you find the time.

Cheers

Si

We
 _GOTOTOP