_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
WWII Destroyer colors?
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hey all! I don't venture into the wolrd of model ships very often, but I have been inspired by the story of the USS Laffey - DD 724. It was an early Allen M. Sumner Class and was involved in the battles off Okinawa. It was hit by 8 planes, and 4 bombs and managed to survive. Does anyone know what type of colors would be on a ship like this? (Or idealy this ship in particular?) All I've been able to find are black and white photos.

Thanks!

Steve
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
You might try this link, http://www.shipcamouflage.com/warship_camouflage.htm

The trick is to see if you can find our what camo measure the Laffey was wearing at the time. Here is a link to some info on the Laffey. http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/destroy/dd724txt.htm

Edit Hey cool, I was checking out that first link I posted and there is a data base of measures used by various ships. The Laffey used MS31/16d or MS 22.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:13 PM UTC
Rodger, thanks very much for that first link. What a huge amount of info on ship camo. I’m sending it to a friend who is a stickler for authenticity when it comes to his ships, so I’m sure he will appreciate it as well.

Mike
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks a million Roger!

Wow, that's a great site. I remember reading an account mentioning some part of the ship being blue during the attack, so I think I'll go with the Ms31. Now, I just need to figure out what the 16d stands for. Thanks again!!

- Steve
 _GOTOTOP