_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Waterline or full hull?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:30 PM UTC
Which do you all prefer, waterline or full hull? I kind of like full hull. To me it has more of a museum quality. Waterline is fine if you're going to do a dio in water, but looks kind of funny sitting on the shelf by itself. What do you all think?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
Howdy HalfYank,

I have the advantage(?), of being able to look from the outside 'in'. Being new to the 'Steel' Navy side of ship building, I can honestly say that I had very little idea that that was even an option until fairly recently.
That said. I must agree with you entirely. I see no other reason for 'waterline' ships other than dio settings. I think this is especially the case with some of the modern ships. Their hulls are quite dramatic sometimes, and are part of what reflects the essence of the ship itself.

But then this brings up the whole 'waterline' setting...........suffice it to say that accurately depicting sea water flowing around the hull is a 'delicate' thing at best. Quite honestly, few have mastered it.
IMHO.

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
Hello Rodger, I agree with your preference. I like the full hull kits best. I have not built any diorama's yet, but if I did , the waterline models would be great. Back when I built 1/700's I never gave it a thought, but after building my first 1/350 kit I never looked back.

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:13 PM UTC
Yeah Garry, one advantage to the larger scale is most come both waterline and full hull. I'm spoiled by my Airfix Warspite, it's smaller scale but it's full hull. I was kind of disapointed in the Indianapolis and Chokai because they were only waterline. Just means I have to work on making good water, that's all.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
I have to chime in here :-)

I prefer the look of a good waterline ship - for some reason...

Especially those big battleships - they sit so low in the water... it makes them look more menacing. I agree that you have to put some water around them though - just sitting on a shelf doesn't cut it :-)

Later-
Jeff
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:48 PM UTC
Speeking of waterline. I have always wanted to build a diorama under a glass top coffee table. I think that would be neat as all get out! Have a naval battle seen right there in your living room, well protected by the glass top and sealed in! This would open up a whole new bunch of idea's. What do ya think ?

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:59 PM UTC
Garry, I saw a dio once, I think it was om modelwarships.com that was somthing like that. A glass case with a Bismarck, in fighting trim, sitting on the surface that looked like water, and another Bismarck below, looking like it looks on the bottom of the sea. Very effective.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
Wowsers, what a great idea! Kind of a story told in still life. Or atliest a before and after dio.That could be done with the Hood or any other ship that has went to its depths. Then again it would bring sad thoughts also. When I built my hood, I had many sad thoughts of the crew that went down with her. Gives one an erie feeling! So I'm not so sure I would want to build a dead ship on the bottom. Thats somthing I would have to put alot of thought into. But the idea is quite clever!

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 03:10 PM UTC
Whoaa!! Garry. You're scaring me.

I have been mentally spinning almost that very same idea around in my head for the past year and a half! As (I think) I've already told you, I am a furniture maker on the side. Generally simple tables and case goods. And I have been trying to come up with something that would combine both of these interests of mine. The glass topped coffe table has been one of them. Building the piece of furniture has not been the problem for me. What has been the issue, is whether it would appeal to anyone other than ME!?!
So, if for no other reason than giving me a short 'rush' of enthusiam, I am grateful. :-) :-)

Tread.

jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hey Tread.... :-)

Do you build glass front display cases? hehehe If so I am very interested :-)

Seriously... that is EXACTLY what I need to display my models.

Later-
Jeff
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
I personally like a full hull ship. You gotta have the full hull to get the real sense of the size of some of the ships.
The waterline is great for doing a dio.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you build glass front display cases? hehehe If so I am very interested

Seriously... that is EXACTLY what I need to display my models.

Took the words right out of my keyboard Jeff. I was going to ask Tread the same thing. Of course, I have a small advantage. I only live about 60 miles or so away from Tread. You can BET I'm going to be speaking to him about this when I see him in April.

Tread, are your ears burning?

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
I'm just about like the rest of you on this, When you got your ship setting on the shelf, it does look a lot better with the full hull, but it you done a dio, then it would sure be easier to do it with a waterline. I was seeing a lot of you would like glass casings. Well I got an idea, from a place I delivered to that built fish tanks. They ordered their glass with it beveled on three sides, for the walls, with a 45 degree bevel, they put the first piece in the bottom, now it was the only piece that had bevels on all four sides, then with a caulking gun, they put in clear silicon caulking all around that piece, then caulked on the sides as they slide them in place, into a plastic frame. Now if you could find a way to order the plexiglass like that and use a what ever size cheap fish tank the size you need, and use the plastic form as a jig to make your own, but now the bottom will be your top, then just set it over your model. Now you guys got the talent to do that, and some times them small fish tanks only sell for a few bucks, or find a way to make your own jig. Most places that sell plexiglass would order them the way you need them cut, then have a tube of clear silicon, and your fishtank jig, or your homemade jig, then Wa La homemade dust cover that you can see your model through. Hope this helps someone.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP