_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Spectacular air/sea dio!
tigermeet
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
We've just posted a spectacular air / sea dio in 1:72nd scale.
you've got to see it believe it!
http://www.pasadenamodelers.com
or hit my selected link
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC
850 hours just on the ship! Damn, that's nearly two years worth of modeling.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:37 PM UTC
Absulutly stunning ! A very well put together Dio of the photo. I have the real photo of this dio. It is a very good match! The second photo of this contact is very graphic, so this is a seriuse dio here! But very well done and with a lot of feeling by the Artist's hands.

Regards,

Garry
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC
Wow, very well done. I could never imagine myself having the skill to build something like that.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
Those 'stalled out' propellers on the B-25 don't do a thing for me... 850 hours on the ship... I would've taken another 10 minutes to replace those props with clear disks... that would've added soooo much more.

Nice job otherwise.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC
Is it me or is there no link to part II?

Very impressive dio! I don't mind the props - perhaps a picture taken using a high-speed camera.

Query (as it is not mentioned in the site): How'd the hell did he hang that B-25? I don't see any clear stand or wires.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
Awesome !! you really don't do things by halves do you Geo
Hope to see more but if it takes that long to do all your work I won't hold my breath for to long.

Russ
tigermeet
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
Part II is coming later this week.
Thanks,
george
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those 'stalled out' propellers on the B-25 don't do a thing for me

I see your point but I would have to say the props being stopped match the effect of the shell splashes being stopped. In other words if the props were made moving, the shell splash would have to be made moving also. I can agree with the modelers decision, basically he stopped time for his dio, which is valid.

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kevin wrote:

Those 'stalled out' propellers on the B-25 don't do a thing for me... 850 hours on the ship... I would've taken another 10 minutes to replace those props with clear disks... that would've added soooo much more.

Quoted Text

I see your point but I would have to say the props being stopped match the effect of the shell splashes being stopped.

I do not want to nitpick or anything but I must agree with Kevin on this one. Even though the water splashes are shown as frozen in time, the propellers should still be shown in motion (blurred). Using clear disks with strategically applied paint would've achieved an awesome effect. Besides, if you look at the photo on which this dio was based, can you see 'stalled out'" props of the flying aircraft or are they just blurry circles?

The splashes themselves look like they were done using cotton. I once saw a diorama where the builder made splashes out of the same material he used to make the water surface. They looked incredible and so realistic.

Here is sort of what I am talking about: http://www.dynamicdioramas.org/MODEL%20SOURCE/duelatsea/duelatsea.html
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
A very impressive and inspiring piece of work...thanks for the link

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
Howdy Tigermeet, Somthing I missed on this post. Who is the builder of this Beautiful Diorama ? The man deserves a pat on the back !

Kind Regards,

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:34 PM UTC
Excellent water effects on that link, a few observations though. If I had a pair of torpedoes coming in on my starbord quarter and that close in, I would have different priorities than trying to hose down an S-boot! I'ld have smoke boiling out of that stack, making emergency flank and turning hard to starbord to try and evade. If I was on that S-boot, I would have that boat up on step, getting the **** out of Dodge, before someone got lucky with that 4.7" or hit one of those torpedoes and ruined my whole day.
In 1/72 scale, tracers should be simulated along with muzzle smoke from the 4.7" on the Flower Class, and unless both ships have visually challenged gunners, they should be doing some damage to each other. #:-)
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
KitMaker: 211 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
This will be a duplicate post to the one I made in the General Modeling Forum but given the quality of the dio I think it is warranted:

Dear Sirs,

your amazing shippe diorama made me pop my monocle. It is so beautiful I am weeping.

Sincerely,

druid
 _GOTOTOP