_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 Enterprise - Merit or Trumpeter Hornet?
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:43 AM UTC
So,
for whatever reason the release of 1/350 Enterprise completely got by me (just getting back to modeling after 2-3 years).

How does the Merit 1/350 Big E compare to Trumpeter 1/350 Hornet and converting to Big E with the Nautilus conversion set?

Prices for the Merit 1/350 Big E run about $210 on ebay.
Prices for the Trumpeter Hornet run about $100 with the Nautilus kit $75 for a total of $175.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Peter
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:29 AM UTC
Peter,

Not sure about the coversion kit or the big diferences between the two main kits. I can probably get you the Merit Big E cheaper than the $200. Merit is one of my store suppliers. I would also recommend the Infini Model CV-6 Upgrade set. I can provide both of you interested.

Just let me know

Dave
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter,

Not sure about the coversion kit or the big diferences between the two main kits. I can probably get you the Merit Big E cheaper than the $200. Merit is one of my store suppliers. I would also recommend the Infini Model CV-6 Upgrade set. I can provide both of you interested.

Just let me know

Dave

Apologies for hijacking the thread but I have the Merit E and have been thinking about the Pontos set. Dave, how much is the Infini set going for?

cheers
Michael
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
Michael,

I can get it for you for $175

Dave
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
Peter,

I apologize for misspeaking. It appears that merit is discontinuing their 1/350th line of ships.

I am trying to get a little more fidelity on what is going on.

Right now merit does not have any USS Enterprise in stock but they do have the CV-5 USS Yorktown. I might have another source for an Enterprise but I would need to know if you want me to pursue that before I contact the source of supply.

Dave
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
Depending on when you want to model Enterprise the Merit CV-5 Yorktown kit may be a better start. The Merit CV-6 Enterprise is aimed at her Battle of Santa Cruz fit, which was different than her Battle of Midway fit.

The CV-5 kit has the parts to do *either* ship at the Battle of Midway, including extra pieces unique to Enterprise.

Go with the CV-5 kit if you want a Battle of Midway Enterprise.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Depending on when you want to model Enterprise the Merit CV-5 Yorktown kit may be a better start. The Merit CV-6 Enterprise is aimed at her Battle of Santa Cruz fit, which was different than her Battle of Midway fit.

The CV-5 kit has the parts to do *either* ship at the Battle of Midway, including extra pieces unique to Enterprise.

Go with the CV-5 kit if you want a Battle of Midway Enterprise.

Tracy,
The Merit 1/350 CV-5 has the parts (island, etc) to make a Midway Big E? No other aftermarket parts required?
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:05 PM UTC
Yes. I helped Merit with the (primarily just grabbed a couple of other Yorktown Class experts and said "we have an opportunity") and that was one of the things were able to do. There was a bunch of suggestions we were not able to do, and then Trumpeter got a little annoyed at us for making a bunch of suggestions and only took a couple of accuracy suggestions from us on the Enterprise at Santa Cruz kit.
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes. I helped Merit with the (primarily just grabbed a couple of other Yorktown Class experts and said "we have an opportunity") and that was one of the things were able to do. There was a bunch of suggestions we were not able to do, and then Trumpeter got a little annoyed at us for making a bunch of suggestions and only took a couple of accuracy suggestions from us on the Enterprise at Santa Cruz kit.

What is the difference between the Merit Enterprise and the Yorktown kits? I am not clear on the difference between the Enterprise Santa Cruz configuration and its Midway configuration. Is there a big difference? Is it just antiaircraft guns?
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:57 PM UTC
Mostly AA related. Enterprise had gone through the Battle of Midway with four 1.1" AA guns fore and aft of the island and a fifth was installed on the bow after that battle. Right before the Battle of Santa Cruz the mounts near the island were replaced with quad 40mm guns (which had different tubs than the 1.1" guns) but the bow 1.1" was left in place. There were also about 10 more 20mm guns, I think. Might be some radar changes but I'd have to check notes on that.
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mostly AA related. Enterprise had gone through the Battle of Midway with four 1.1" AA guns fore and aft of the island and a fifth was installed on the bow after that battle. Right before the Battle of Santa Cruz the mounts near the island were replaced with quad 40mm guns (which had different tubs than the 1.1" guns) but the bow 1.1" was left in place. There were also about 10 more 20mm guns, I think. Might be some radar changes but I'd have to check notes on that.

Thanks that helps a lot.
 _GOTOTOP