_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/400 Heller
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Has anybody ever done the Heller 1/400 Charles De Gaulle yet, my mouth has been watering to get this, but I wondered if anybody has done it, and could comment on it. I wondered if it had the SATRAP on the model, or the anti roll fins, with this being the only ship equipped in the world with this, it totally caught my attention.I just wished they made it in 1/350, but then I suppose the price would blow it out of the water. Many Thanks ahead of time.

Kerry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Howdy Kerry! My thoughts were to build this kit at one time also. There is two articles at the Steelnavy site about this kit. One is a picture article found in there feature article page under , the evolution of French aircraft carriers. The other is in there Aircraft carriers gallery, The Heller 1/400 Charles De Gaulle. Here is the link to Steelnavy site, it may not be hot.

http://www.steelnavy.com/

HTH,

Garry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:25 AM UTC
Gary, have you ever seen the pictures of them trying out that SATRAP where it shows the front of the ship, and it looks as though it is sinking, that is how far that system can make it tilt.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC
I don't know if anybody has been looking for it, but the best price I found so far was Squadron, for $29.29
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:06 AM UTC
There ya go.

http://www.steelnavy.com

Quick read thru the two articles....unfortunately it says nothing about the kit itself, except to say that the builder almost had to scratch a significant portion of it. Don't know if that means he found it substandard or inaccurate......

Tread.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC
I thank you guys for that model site, back when I was going to buy it, before I got this deal on these Italeri models, I was looking at the website with the real ship, and they got a picture of them trying out that SATRAP system, and it looks as though it is going to tip over in the harbor, it is amazing how it works, but the model, with it costing around thirty dollars, I figured it would be missing something. I know the real ship is a total piece of art.
 _GOTOTOP