_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Hollowing out main gun barrels
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hi guys

How would one go about hollowing out the gun barrels of the main turrets. Or at least give the appearance of a hollowed out gun.

Thanks in advance

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi there Leader, The way I do it is start off with a #11 exacto blade an d(very carefuly, there sharp) make a dimple in the center of the barrels muzzle, this gives you a starting point. Then I use a Pinvise drill to do the rest. Select a drill bit that is just under the muzzles diameter and drill the hole out. Just drill shallow, maybe 1/16th of an inch or less is all thats needed. After the holes are drilled, a little flat black inside the hole increases depth to the eye. Once again Be careful and work slowly and you will do fine.

HTH,

Garry
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:12 PM UTC
another thing for consideration. Unless the gun was undergoing cleaning or during firing it often times had a plug in it to prevent nasty things from getting into the barrel. So while hollowing out the barrel certainly adds a bit of realism and interest, hollowing it out a bit then adding a plug would add even more realism. Of course you can just forget about it and say the gun is getting ready to fire . As for actually drilling it out, I use the same process that Garry uses. Good luck!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:26 AM UTC
One other thing you can try, depending on scale, is to replace the barrel completely with brass tubeing. I'm hope to be posting later today a picture of a turret from my Warspite. The kit barrels had flared ends that looked like a blunderbus. I've cut down some 1/16th inch brass tube I got at a craft store and used it instead of the kit barrel. I'm biased but I think it looks great.
 _GOTOTOP