_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
new to ships
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC
hello everyone, im sure plenty of you know me from the other forums, but i dont visit this one too often,

im usually an armour builder, but am considering getting hold of a couple of ships to build for a change.

which kits would you recommend, i would ideally like something british, not too large a model, simple to build, not too expensive.

any spring to mind?

cheers

joe
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:31 PM UTC
It kind of depends on how good you're eyesight is and how long you want to keep it for someone who is new to ships, something in 1/350 scale might be best. Several of the guys in the Altantic and Forgotten Sisters builds here are building the Tamiya 1/350 Prince of Wales or King George V. Others, who have more ambition and the resource materials, are converting one or the other to the Anson, Howe, or Duke of York. I haven't seen it in years, but Hasagawa (?) had a 1/350 Vanguard that you might be able to find on ebay or in a well stocked shop's dark basement. All of these are in the $35-$40 dollar range.
If you want to try something in 1/700, Tamiya has a pair of "O" Class DD's, KG V, PoW, Hood, and other companys have Ark Royal, Ashanti, Victorious, and the modern Ark Royal Class Harrier Carriers---generally in the less than $20 dollar range
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
Hi Joe, welcome over to the floaty side. Bluebear gave you good advice, but I find that 1/700, or close to it, isn't too bad for a beginner either. I've only fully made one ship model since I was a kid, and that was the Banner 1/350 Arizona. I'm now working on the 1/600 scale Airfix HMS Warspite. I don't find it any more of a challenge, model skill wise, than the Arizona. The price is certainly atractive, only $10.00 US compared to more like $50 for the larger scale Tamiya kits. I don't know about your side of the pond but over here you can still get the Airfix 1/600 Warspite, Suffolk (sp), Ark Royal, and I think a kit that has several destroyers in it. Italeri makes a good 1/720 HMS Hood that is supposed to be pretty good also. Personally I wouldn't want to go with PE with my first effort so a good inexpensive kit like one of those Arifix models that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and wouldn't take up as much room, would be a fine choice.

Thinking about joing either the Unsung Sisters or Warships of the Atlantic campaigns?

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 11:19 AM UTC
Just to tack on to what HalfYank mentioned---there are 2 Hoods. The Italerie 1/720 Hood is beautiful when finished, but builds as she was in the 30's, before she had her final update. The Tamiya 1/700 Hood is as she was when, along with the Prince of Wales, she took on the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen in the Battle of the Denmark Straits and was blown up.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:02 PM UTC
Howdy greatbrit,

There's absolutely nothing I can add to the fine advice both bluebear and HalfYank have shared with you. They are both true wellsprings of information, and help.
bluebear's input on the different ships available is eye-opening to me, as is HalfYank's price comparisons. The only place where I tend to have an 'opinion', is scale. I do not possess the bionic eyesight that our good HalfYank has, so I must limit myself to 1/350th scale (just so I don't 'blow' a capillary artery ). I wish I could handle the smaller scale (just as I wish I could 'handle' the smalller 'braille' scale armour offerings....although I'm beginning to have a strong 'leaning').
These 'floaty' fellas, are extremely supportive, and helpful. You couldn't be in better hands greatbrit!

Tread.

Oh....and I owe my friend HalfYank a TY for kindly mentioning both Warship builds.....he is a true supporter. :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC
"Bionic Eyesight!" Ha. The only thing bionic about my eyesight is my tri-focal glasses. That and my lighted magnifier on a swing arm and another on a headset.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:38 PM UTC
A good ship to start with in 1/350 scale is the Tamiya Fletcher.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:38 PM UTC
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Scung, By the way How is your Fletcher coming along ? If you get a chance post some pic's of her . I would like to see it!

Cheers,

Garry
 _GOTOTOP