_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
First shots forAtlantic Campaign
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
I will be expanding this into a full blown review of this kit but here is what I've gotten so far.

HMS Warspite arguably has the most illustrious battle record of any warship in history. Her battle honors include Jutland 1916, Narvik 1940, Calabria 1940 (where she set the record for longest range hit against another warship), Malta convoys 1941, Matapan 1941, Crete 1941, Sicily 1943, Salerno 1943, Normandy 1944, Walcheren 1944. Unfortunately she has not been well covered in injected plastic. The only kit out there, except for the resin White Ensign Model that is MUCH more expensive, is the decades old Airfix 1/600 scale kit.

The first thing you notice when opening the box is it’s not your typical box. Instead of the “normal” two-piece box where the lid is removed from the bottom this is a one-piece box where you have to open either end to slip the pieces out. The first thing I did was transfer the contents to a plastic tote to protect them while constructing the kit. I’m pretty sure that I’ve lost at least one part, the cradle for one of the seaplanes, through the open end of this box.

The kit contains two sprues of a light gray plastic, plus the two halves of the hull and the deck piece. There is some flash, but not much.

The Warspite was an “all big gun” battleship. This makes it even more disappointing that her guns aren’t well made. The main battery 15” guns have a large flange at their ends making them look like a blunderbuss. The smaller 6” medium caliber, and 4.7” anti-aircraft guns are so small and fragile I can’t see how they could ever be made properly as is. My plan was to immediately replace these guns. I chose 1/16th inch brass tubing for the main guns.

I don’t have any experience with scales as small as 1/600 but I noticed that this ship has very little deck details, planking, hatch doors, and such. On my copy the deck planking has some scratches and I’m not sure how they will look after painting. There are few ladders and those that are there are of the “Aztec temple” type. The ship will surely do with some P.E. set like the one made by Tom’s Modelworks. Since this is my first small scale ship I’ll forgo the P.E. set until I have more experience.

The hull and deck has both pros and cons. The hull is full hull split lengthwise. Anybody wishing to make this in a waterline display get out the saw. The deck, on the other hand, is one piece, with two small sections molded separately to represent the medium caliber gun batteries. After gluing the hull pieces together I have test fit the deck and it seems to fit well, though on my kit the deck is warped. You will need to be careful with clamps or rubber bands to make sure enough pressure is applied at certain critical points while gluing. One caution, do NOT shave away what appears to be some flash at the very stern of the deck. This represents the roof of the stern gallery.

One issue I’ve had is the bridge and secondary control position. Joining the two sides then adding a roof makes both of these structures. On my kit when you put the two sides together the roof won’t attach properly. I joined the three pieces together as best I could leaving a gap in the seam between the sides. If I had it all to do over again I’d cut the locating tabs off the roofs of both of these structures so that I can put the sides together without seams then place the roofs on where needed.

The painting guide in the instructions give two paint schemes, one for 1940, which is the one I chose, and one for 1944. The only paints suggested are Humbrol, and the instructions only give Humbrol numbers, not the actual colors. I planned all along to paint this kit using inexpensive craft acrylic paints. I chose a light gray color for the upper hull, a wine colored red for the lower hull, and a light wood color for the deck. The Humbrol number for the anti slip decking is a “cockpit green.” This seemed to be a bit of a strange color to me so I chose Tamiya XF22, which is a medium gray green.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
Hey there Rodger, I like your style ! Step by step very thurough. Looks like there is a few gliches to work out of the old gal! Thanks to your keen eye, I have one in my stash to build to. Build on buddy!

Garry
P.S. them brass tubed barrels look good!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:10 PM UTC
Howdy Rodger,

"...I will be expanding this into a full blown review of this kit but here is what I've gotten so far..."
I don't know rodger, feels pretty "full" so far....... :-)
Nice walk-through of the initial stages of your project. I really got the feel I was standing just over your right shoulder. Thanx. By the way, that shirt you're wearing does wonders for you!
You have precisely the same kit as I do, so it's kinda nice knowing what's in the box without actually opeing it. From your second pic it doesn't look like you've got too many pieces to worry about, and all I can say about the deck piece is, I wish my deck was only ONE piece as well!
I do have a question about the Guns. You say they have a "large flange" at the ends resembling a "blunderbuss", yet, in the accompanying drawings they depict a straight tapered barrel. Are the drawing from the kit or? Also, if you intend to use the brass tubing, how will you handle the 'taper'?
It sounds like you've got it well in hand, and it also sounds like a comfortable enough challenge. Your paint decisions also appear sound.
Good job Rodger!

Hey!.....you've already got oodles of kudos from me just for the scale!

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:04 PM UTC
Tread, the drawing is a blow up from a book I have, Battleships and Battlecruisers 1905-1969. The drawings in the book are at a constant 1/1200 scale so it was easy to blow them up by 200% on my copier to make them 1/600. The kits guns are terrible, with the flared end I mentioned. Replacing the barrels with the brass tubing is going to be a pain but I think it will be worth the trouble.

_GOTOTOP