_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Flyhawk's HMS Penelope
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 04:06 AM UTC
Just received my Penelope today. I ripped open the package in greedy anticipation. As usual, the plastic molding is sharp and crisp, but I was not impressed by the lack of PE! Is this a new policy of Flyhawk? Once I'm addicted to their kits they omit the PE? No railings - no crane boom - no aircraft catapult - no ittibits!

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC
Interesting... They offer duel options more now, maybe they figure go big or go home? The kits are still worth it for the detail, but it would be nice to see a set of railings at least.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 04:54 AM UTC
How are they going to sell you their PE kits for this model if they add it to the kit..
Or will there be a release of the deluxe version right after everyone who purchase the first kit purchase the upgrades..
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 07:51 AM UTC
The Deluxe version was released at the same time...and yes, there is an up-charge to it!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC
Didn't know there was also a "Deluxe" version as well. So now "Deluxe" Flyhawk kits correspond to what they've been giving us previously, only at a higher price? Hope they're not getting cheap on us! They could have made it clear on the box that the kit does NOT contain PE. Now I'll have to wait for available "Deluxe" PE set to build the kit! Plenty more stuff in the stash.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 04:16 AM UTC
Yes Biggs, the Deluxe is more...looks about $20 US more to be more exact. Comes with barrels, railings and other PE and some resin parts. They have offered regular kits in the past with the railings and this time they did announce both the regular and deluxe versions at the same time. Probably best to assume that moving forward they will have two versions for each of the new releases. My guess is they are just catering to the wide range of builders..they are just missing there is a group of modelers that want railings and no other bling. I bet they have an aftermarket set of railings specific for this kit.
 _GOTOTOP