_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Newbie looking for advice on first project
Kilsh1
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I'm an experienced modeller mainly figures and WW1 aircraft but I have been inspired to try a ship model by seeing some great builds at shows. I particularly like the weird looking ironclad (not particularly civil war) to dreadnought period. I have been considering some of the Trumpeter or Zveda kits of Russian ships from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Doesn't have to be Russian though. I'm ok working in resin and PE and would possibly try to fit aftermarket stick on veneer decking. I'm thinking 1/700 or 1/350 So long as the kits build up to 13 or 14 inches or so max.

What kits would you suggest to give me a decent result without too much trouble?

Thanks

Kilsh
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 10:06 PM UTC
Hobby Boss 1/350 Danton or Voltaire are very good kits. IMHO
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:04 AM UTC
I would reccomend this one by Bronco: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/224503-bronco-nb5018-peiyang-fleet-protected-cruiser-chih-yuen
It's not a complicated build, and comes with complete PE. The ship was British-built and sold to China in 1880's. Builds into a very attractive model.

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:19 AM UTC
Neil,

I would agree with both Harry and Biggles2 recommendations.

I would add to the list Zvezda's 1/350 scale Varyag (the Russo-Japanese War-era ship). It is an excellent, viceless kit in its own right, and optional stick-on wood decks and photoetch upgrades are readily available for it.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi Neil,
I would agree with the previous comments and would add if you are looking for something Russian, different and don't mind working in resin Combrig do a great range in pre-dreadnought kits in both 1/700 and 1/350 scale.
They are challenging, require some research but build into nice looking kits.

cheers

Michael
Kilsh1
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks all for your suggestions, I was aware of a couple of them as possibilities but some other interesting options I wasn’t aware of also. It the IPMS nationals in a couple of weeks on the UK so I shall hunt some of these down.

Thanks again

Neil
Kilsh1
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC
Just back from the U.K. IPMS nationals, There was a very nice Trumpeter 1/350 scale Tsearavich in the comp which I would like to have crack at, good first choice or not?

Cheers

Neil
 _GOTOTOP