_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Vote for my new ship build!
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hello ladies (anyone there?) and gentlemen!

After finishing my second 1:350 surface ship I let me get more involved in ship modelling and want to start a new ship build. I did manage to collect a small but attractive stash of surface ships with some extras for each vessel.

As I can not decide which ship I should do next I would like to ask you to do me a favor and decide for me which vessel will be started next. I would suggest the vote is open for one week and after this I will start a blog with the winning kit.

Here are the applicants:

1) The legendary german one: The Admiral Graf Spee was responsible for the sinking of quite some shipping spreading fear and attraction at allied side in the southern atlantic at the outbreak of the second world war. To save the crew of its sure death after she have to leave Uruguay again after 72 hours with some british ships waiting for it and almost out of ammo its captain decided to self-sink the ship at the mouth of the Rio de la Plata.

2) The stealthy one: Swedish modern Visby Class Corvette. It is a small resin vessel with photoetched and metal parts.

3) The rare bird: Hasegawa`s limited Edition seaplane tender Akitsushima. This one costed me a full broadside towards my wallet
but I´m very happy to own this one finally after years of searching. I do have alliance model AA-guns and a Voyager AA-gun to improve the kit´s plastic ones.

4) The Steamer: Another limited kit from Hasegawa, the Heian Maru. It was a submarine tender with an attractive Camouflage pattern. I have the full PE-sets, a wooden deck and turned Barrels for its few guns

5) The russian guy: Orange hobby´s Steregushchi class corvette, one of the most modern russian surface ships in current duty within the Baltic fleet since 2008. This is a resin kit with photoetched and metal parts.

6) The beautiful one: Aoshima´s light cruiser Tama with its characteristic white Camouflage pattern during her northern operations in 1942 in Hokkaido, Kurile Islands and the Aleutian Islands. I do have the very crisp and huge photoetched set for the ship and its ship Floor and turned Barrels from Rainbow Models. This one will give me a lot of work!

7) The emperor´s ship: BRONCO´s release of Imperial Chinese first modern Battleship and Flagship Ting Yuen. Build in Germany for the Chinese it was considered as the most modern Battleship of its time - at least even with germany´s and british ships of this class. During the economical and financial weaknesses, loss of interest in the Navy (outstanding payments and no funds for exercises and fresh ammo) and growing corruption of the chinese government in the years after, the combat effectivness of the chinese Navy dropped considerably. As the hostilities against the Japanese empire broke out at the Yalu River in 1895 the Ting Yuen also got severly damaged and its captain decided to self sink the ship and committed suicide after it.
I do have an (very expensive) wooden deck for it together with turned Barrels and a photoetched set from Voyager for it.

8) The doomed carrier: Hasegawa´s Gambier Bay. It was sunk off the Philipines from Admiral Kuritas ships. The Gambier bay is the only carrier who used its single 127 mm in direct Engagement against other surface ships.
I do have both photoethed sets and the deck set from Hasegawa for it. Artwox masking foil was also bought for it. And there are some turned barrels for all the small AA-batteries. This one would also be a huge project!

9) The antarctic Explorer: Hasegawa´s Soya Research vessel. Build before the second world war as an Icebreaker for Russia it survived somehow and was later converted as an arctic Research vessel. I build this as a very young Boy and played with it inside the bathtube. Now I would like to build this ship with its very elegant orange color once again with all my current abilities.
I do have a wooden deck for her and its photoetched set. It took me quite some time but I was also able to optain Mr. Color´s set specificly made for the Soya with the true "alert orange" Color

10) The odd looking one: Alliance Model´s U-Boot salvage ship of the Kaiserliche Marine. This one is a catamaran shaped boat which was intended to be used after submarine accidents and it was indeed successful in salvaging two drowned submarines. The russian Navy used one of this class (heavily modernised until around 2007!). This is a multimedia kit out of resin and photoetched parts.

11) The tiny one: Orange Hobby´s IJN Type 28 class submarine chaser. This is a very small vessel out of resin and photoetched parts and will Need all my abilities and surely let me get blind during the build because of the small parts

12) The mighty one: MERIT´s new IJN battleship Mikasa in 1:200 scale. A PONTOS huge upgrade set is already on its way for this one. I would prefer you would not let me start this one as it will surely the biggest and most complicate build of my Collection

It is up to you now: The vote is open until next friday evening

Ahoy!

Thomas
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi Thomas,

They are all very interesting ships... very hard to choose but
I'll suggest IJN Type 28 class submarine chaser.

Have a great day!

Joe
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC
Go with IJN steamer.
2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
i like the Visby class corvette
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:58 PM UTC
That Graf Spee tho. Can't go wrong with German efficiency.
HORSTHOPF
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:54 PM UTC
They all look good to me, Nice stash.
My vote goes to the Light Cruiser Tama!!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 02:16 AM UTC
Cracking selection Thomas

The Ting Yuen is a great build, one I very much enjoyed, but the one on that list I really fancy is the Vulkan, He is such an unusual vessel.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers.

Si
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
I like the seaplane tender. I almost got that one myself.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:15 AM UTC
My vote goes for the Chinese Battleship Ting Yuen.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi Thomas,

That is one impressive stash! My first thought is that I'd like to see the seaplane tender Akitsushima built, but since you are relatively new to ships, that rare (and expensive) kit might benefit from more experiece.

That said, the steamer Heian Maru, a more straightforward build, would be a great choice!

JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:30 PM UTC
My vote is for the Ting Yuen Thomas.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:31 PM UTC
Very impressive Thomas!
A small but significant stash especially the range of aftermarket for kit.
I fancy the Heian Maru as well because we don't get to see to many working/support ships built as a blog.

cheers

Michael
jjcadenhead
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 04:23 AM UTC
My vote is for the Ting Yuen.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
My vote is: 9) The antarctic Explorer: Hasegawa´s Soya Research vessel.

Something a bit different and nice and bright.

And the fact I have this ship on my ebay watch list has no bearing on my choice at all.....
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:02 PM UTC
Time is over - and these are the results:

One vote for each one the Typ 28 subchaser, Visby Corvette, Graf Spee, IJN Tama, SMS Vulkan, IJN Akitsushima and the Soya.

Three votes each for both ships the IJN Heian Maru and the Chinese flagship Ting Yuen. This draw need me to vote too for one of these two boats and I decided myself for the Ting Yuen. I will start the build this weekend already.

Thank you to all the voters and spectators who spend their time for me - see you soon at my Ting Yuen blog.

Cheers

Thomas
 _GOTOTOP