_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
attaching 1/350 PE cargo blocks
feuerwehr42
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:10 AM UTC
Am working on a scratchbuilt 1/350 German commerce raider "ATLANTIS"...does anyone have a suggestion on how to attach the brass cargo blocks to the booms and crosstrees - I'm trying both Eduard and GMM style blocks..used Gorilla Glue, extra-thin superglue, and epoxy, but they just don't seem to hold as well as I'd like. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Doug,

By "brass cargo blocks" I assume you mean block and tackle for rigging, lifeboats and such?

I too have had challenges attaching these things, but I have finally settled on good old Elmer's white (polyvinyl acetate, or PVA) glue. it is not as strong as cyanoacrylate or epoxy, but it is FAR easier to use.

I like that it can be thinned with water and applied with a fine paint brush, and that it dries clear and matte. The bond is surprisingly strong, too, and doesn't degrade over time; I have models with Elmer's-attached rigging that I made over thirty years ago!
feuerwehr42
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestion, Tim! My main problem has been securely attaching the blocks to the booms, kingposts, etc., and still being able to thread the fine EZLine through it. Tried several methods (using Eduard's PE blocks for J. O'Brien): glued the spacer and two sides with superglue, but the glue didn't seem strong enough to hold it together; then, epoxy glue, but it plugged up the throat of the block and wouldn't allow the EZLine through, same as with superglue. Haven't had much luck with Aleene's Tacky Glue, as yet. Does any other manufacturer make 1/350 scale cargo blocks?
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:03 AM UTC
I cheat a bit with mine; I don't actually thread the lines through the blocks, but rather attach line ends to either side of the block to create the illusion of a single line going through it. Much easier!

feuerwehr42
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:48 AM UTC
That was an option I had considered...but, yesterday my wife turned me on to "Zap gel PT27"; she uses it for her beading projects but it's a game-saver for me: it's in a tube, dries very fast, doesn't take much, and it holds well. Just the thing for attaching 1/350 cargo blocks. Give it a whirl!
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 05:56 AM UTC
You should be able to find lots of suppliers for blocks, etc here:

https://modelshipworld.com

When threading EZ line through a block, I always wipe some CA glue on the end of the line so that it forms a stiff point - much easier to thread.
 _GOTOTOP