_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Just posted 3 ship pic's in my gallery.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
Posted 3 model ship photo's in my gallery if you would care to take a look. These are kits I built 5 years ago, before I knew what photo etch was.
The are :

1/700 USS Saratoga by Fujimi.
1/700 IJN CV Zuiho by Hasegawa
1/700 IJN Hien Maru/Submarine depoh ship, by Hasegawa.

These are all kits that I would recomend as good builds.

Best regards,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
Pretty nice Gary. I like how you did the artwork, made it look like a magazine article. That Zuiho, that's the one that had camo that made her look like a battleship, right?

I have a book called Ghost Fleet, about diving the wrecks at Bikini. When the Sara went down her crew had to be just about restrained from going over to try and save her. She took quite a while to die. A real shame that old Sister Sara couldn't have been saved from that, along with the Big E.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
Howdy Garry,

Thanks...I thoroughly enjoyed that! Even though they are in the wrong scale ( ), they still look superb! I am a fervent fan of the camo paint you used. Especially on the Zuiho (?).
Nice stuff sir. :-)
But, seeing as you have done an RG 1/72nd Sub, mikeli should be bangin' on your door for assistance! Does he know you've done the RG Sub?

Tread.

Oh...HalfYank. If you feel the need to share more about the 'Bikini' thing. I don't think any of us would mind some of your input...........would we?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HalfYank. If you feel the need to share more about the 'Bikini' thing. I don't think any of us would mind some of your input...........would we?

You ought to know by now you don't have to twist my arm very hard to get me to talk, or post.

It's really a pretty good book. I love that kind of thing, wreck diving, even though I know I'd never have the guts to do it. The Sara is in pretty good shape, considering. She's upright on the bottom. Her stack has collapsed to port, onto the flight deck, and the weight of the stack collapsed part of the flight deck. There are planes on board in the hanger, I think a couple of Helldivers and maybe a Hellcat. They are so fragile that you can put your hand right through the planes skin. The most noticable effect from the bomb blasts is the hull is badly washboarded in places. I THINK, and this is from memory, that the conensus was that the ship could have been saved if her crew was abord to man pumps and such. Of course the crew would probably have died later from radiation if they had been aboard when the bomb dropped.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Garry,

Thanks...I thoroughly enjoyed that! Even though they are in the wrong scale ( ), they still look superb! I am a fervent fan of the camo paint you used. Especially on the Zuiho (?).
Nice stuff sir. :-)
But, seeing as you have done an RG 1/72nd Sub, mikeli should be bangin' on your door for assistance! Does he know you've done the RG Sub?

Tread.

Oh...HalfYank. If you feel the need to share more about the 'Bikini' thing. I don't think any of us would mind some of your input...........would we?

Hello Tread,
I'm sorry to say, I did not build that Uboat. It was built by a fellow in Germany. I posted an article about his build earlier. Sorry for the mix up bud, I should have added the builders name to the photo's!

cheers,

Garry , on the woops patrol!
 _GOTOTOP