_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/700th USSR Frunze battlecruiser
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 01:12 PM UTC
Welp, here we are again, at the beginning. And due to popular vote, I am starting on the Frunze. She is going together alot smoother already compared to HMS Dragon, but that might be due to me taking it slow this time. Either way, I got the multi piece deck fitted together and glued, as well as some of the little bits and ends.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:58 PM UTC
Nice choice and nice start Cameron.

will be coming along for ride.

Cheers

Si
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 06:41 AM UTC
Worked with her throughout the day today, because Im anti social, so with no bother from my family I finished bits and ends on the forward deck, including the RBU-6000 units on the fore deck and around the main bridge. and started assembling the bridge.

I mentioned before in my HMS Dragon build, I have shaky hands due to a gene from my grandfather. However even with these problems. Some very creative curse words later, I can happily say most of the bridge is assembled (in pieces so the smaller bits are easier to put on in later stages.

It will remain in the sections so it will be easier to paint, and fit other bits on at later stages, I learned that lesson from HMS Dragon, and the criticism I received.

However, she is going together much smoother, and she looks pretty good so far.
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 - 02:40 AM UTC
So I have hit a bit of a snag, not in the building process, but how Im going to paint this sucker. I want to do its real world counterpart justice, but I dont know what colors to use...Any help would be appreciated, for both her and the Minsk.

I know they use some type of reddish orange for the deck, and I would like to paint her main hull in a dark gray, sorta like they did with the Pyotr velikiy. but I dont know what color that is at all. Any help would be appreciated. (acrylics please)

While I await some answers Ill be continuing work on the Frunze.
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 03:09 AM UTC
Well, Even with the Snag, Here is an Update to her. I finished the bridge and moved on to the funnel.

(Why a nuclear powered Battle-cruiser needs an exhaust funnel beats me...oh she has two boilers as well...that's pretty smart Russia.) and the Voskhod MR-800 top radar array.

And this is how it all looks on the hull.

I am happy with it so far, but...I honestly wish I could afford the PE radar and other little bits. It really gets my OCD going when my favorite ship in the world doesn't look the way its supposed too.

Anywho, rant over, let me know how it looks so far!
modelmanuk12
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 05:46 AM UTC
I found this for Modern russian colours

Colours, Coats and Mixes:
All colour coats Tamiya, Clear Coat Revell “MATT 2”
(All colours and coats applied by airbrush, touch-ups applied with fine Tamiya art brush):
Decks: Superstructure: Tamiya 50% Flat Yellow(XF-3)+ 50% Flat Red(XF-7), tanned down with 5-8% Flat Brown(XF-10) and a few drops of white, if you want the deck to have a more orange tint carefully add XF-7 only
Weatherdeck: German Grey(XF-63) + 20% White(XF-2) + 15% Flat Blue(XF-8)
Upper Hull and Superstructure: Neutral Grey(XF-53) + 10% White(XF-2) + 10% Light Blue(XF-23)
Anti Fouling Red: Flat Red(XF-7) + 30% Red Brown(XF-64) + a few drops of Flat Black(XF-1)
Flat Black(XF-1), Flat White(XF-2)
Life rafts and radar dome: White(XF-2) + 10% Light Sea Grey (XF-25)
All colours thinned with Tamiya Thinner(X-20A) 2:1

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
Nice work Cameron,

A really handsome ship.

Cheers

Si
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 03:01 AM UTC
Looking good, Cameron. Thanks also for the Russian color mixes!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 03:31 PM UTC
I'm on board! Looking good so far
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2017 - 01:49 AM UTC
Well here is an Update, I decided I couldn't wait any longer and tried the Little Ka-27 Harmone....or is it the Ka-25 Helix...They look the same and the Kirov carried both so..eh. plus its good practice for the Minsk.

Anywho the Superstructure is completed, I must admit that was probably my favorite part, watching the superstructure come together.

All thats left is the little bits like the AK-630's and the only offensive artillery the Kirov has. As well as the cockboats...heh, thats a fun word to say, almost as much as the poop deck.

Also thank you for the color suggestions! I am going to see what I can do about getting those colors.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 02:48 PM UTC
A massive model even in 1/700! Nice progress Cameron! It really feels like progress is happening when you get to this stage.
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC
I have been forced to put the Frunze and most of my projects on hold for a few days, forced to move back to Utah, but do not worry, I will be resuming, hopefully when I'm settled in!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
Nice work Cameron,

I'm in and watching, too!

And don't worry about your break, I am still struggling to get back to my build after moving several weeks ago. Always takes longer than you expect...so take all the time you need.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP