_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
HMS Belfast questions
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 04:21 AM UTC
For those who have some knowledge of HMS Belfast.
I know Trumpeter offer a HMS Belfast in 1/350 scale as it looked in 1942. I have a friend who was interested in having a model built for him based on Belfast's 1945 fitout for it's role in the Pacific as his dad served on it. Could this be done with the Trumpeter kit without substantial modification? I don't want to do a lot scratch building. Or is there an alternative kit available, maybe in 1/700 scale, that would be a better starting point?
Also, is there PE available for Trumpeter's kit besides the WEM offering?

Thanks for any assistance.

cheers
Michael
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:42 AM UTC
Flyhawk offers an extensive set for the 1942 configuration. I'm currently in the works of building her. Model master makes a correction set for the main gun armament. As far as the 1945 refit I'm not sure how much of the flyhawk set can be used, I have issues posting photos of the set but if there are alternate ways I could get them to you I'd be glad to take photos of the set and instructions, you could research it then. I'm not sure what changed in the refit as far as structure and I'm not sure how much would have to be changed on the trumpeter kit. Someone else may have better knowledge on the differences.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 02:13 PM UTC
Thanks Norman, it's good to hear about the Flyhawk set. I would be interested in what needs correcting about the main guns i.e. what does the Model Master set offer?
My main understanding that the Belfast had a lot of AA added for the move to the Pacific given the dangers faced there. I don't know what alterations they made for those extra guns.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

I have just had a quick dig through Raven & Roberts and the AOTS on the Belfast, unfortunately all the full line drawings are for either 1942-3 or post '62.

However a couple of things that would involve some work.

The catapult as removed, along with one of the cranes, the remaining crane was moved on to the centreline just aft of where the hanger doors were. The hangers were turned into additional accommodation / recreation spaces.

According to AOTS

The After pair of twin 4" were removed and replaced with deckhouses.

The AA armament was upgraded by adding 4 quad and 4 single 2 pdr pompoms, were added 1 twin 20mm removed and two singles added.

From the two photographs quite a few changes to the directors, masts radars and boat fit too.

I will do a bit more digging amongst my books, in case I do find more, but it looks like you would have quite a bit of work to do, sorry.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks very much for that Si. I thought that would be the case of significant changes in her fitout but hoped wouldn't be. I will check out those books you have mentioned and see what other more detailed info is available.

cheers
Michael
 _GOTOTOP