_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
I'm not worthy!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
I just saw this build of the Airfix WARSPITE over at modelwarships.com http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/hms/warspite-600-gp/Warspite-index.html

I can't believe the time and effort this man put into this kit. It has details i wouldn't expect to see on a modern 1/350 scale model, let alone one half that size, and over 20 years old to boot. Makes me want to go home and throw my WARSPITE against the wall. Maybe, maybe, someday, after years and years of experience, I can aspire to doing something half as good as this model.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:20 AM UTC
All I can say is WOW! No detail left out there, A fine piece of work indeed. Rodger , some people seem to be born with a gift of certian talents, some have deticated nerves to take there time and not miss any detail. I know modelers like this, two friends of mine I have been building with have not finished a model in the last three years. There work is fantastic! But I cant do that. I just have to many models I want to build, so I'm a fast builder. Adding what detail I can in my build, and enjoying the hobby. You are worthy bud, you enjoy what you do!
Not taking away the work on this fellows Warspite, it is a beautiful model! And he deserves a pat on the back, well done! :-)

Regards,

Garry
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 355 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:00 PM UTC
rodger i dont know what references you have,but Battleship Warspite is an exellent source of photo's throughout the old lady's lifetime including one of able dog Pluto.the book is by V.E.Tarrent.by the way were the six inch guns broken or missing on yours as well.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC
I can't believe what am I seeing! Looks real! This has been done through the patience and effort of the modeler. I love it!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

by the way were the six inch guns broken or missing on yours as well.

One was broken, one broke off as soon as I touched it. I've replaced them all with with straight pins cut down. I even had to rebuild one of the round casements the guns are in, the little round cylinder. I cut the gun off then dropped it and the carpet monster, or in my case hardwood floors monster, ate it. I snipped a piece of sprue off, drilled a hole in it to go over the pin, and presto, it did the trick.

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
What, no sailors? I don't see any sailors. How can this be a great model without any sailors? Just kidding guys. I am not a ship modeler but I do think that this is an outstanding build. This guy has done a marvelous job!
 _GOTOTOP