_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Scheer Blast Bags ?
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hey guys

Quick question: Did the Admiral Scheer (in 1942) have blast bags on its main and secondary guns. If so what colour would they have been ????

And the main question is how would one go about making these ? LOL

Once again thanks in advance
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:08 PM UTC
Yes and no. I have seen pictures of the sheer with blast bags and without. I'm building her sister , the Lutzow without them. I debated and decided not to add them. Now if you want to add them, here is how I build them. I use white glue(elmers) to form them.

Use a tooth pick or a piece of stretched sprue as an aplicater, just start stuffing the glue around the base of the barrel where it enters the turrets, filling the gap around the gun barrel a little at a time. The blast bags on the sheer are fastened right at the edge of the barrel opening on the turret. There not all that big. they look very simler to the blast bags on the bismarcks turrets, so that would be a good reference to look at. to form the blast bags will take several applications of glue, it will shrink a litte as it dries. The nice thing about white glue is it dries clear, so it is easy to touch up. Keep adding coats of glue extending out on the barrel about a scale 3 feet. The blast bag will have a sag in it ay the bottom. After the blast bags are all formed , you can paint them. the color will be a dingie off white color.
If you go to www.fineartsmodels.com , you can look at the blast bags on there Bismarck model and see what they should look like. If you have other questions about building the bags, just feel free to ask.

HTH,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:56 PM UTC
I'm experimenting with something right now for my Warspite. I picked up a type of modeling clay at Hobby Lobby the dries hard. It kind of has the consistency of semi dried marshmellow creme. If it works I'll post pics of the results.
 _GOTOTOP