_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
What about float planes and there pilots?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:02 PM UTC
This is somthing you dont hear much about. Float plane operations and the pilots that maned them. For what I can tell , the pilots are kind of unsung hero's! The forgotten few. It must have been pretty thrilling to operate these float planes off WW-2 Battleships and Cruisers! More or less by the seat of there pants. Plus the slow speed the traveled would have made them easy targets. I wonder why we dont hear more about them? There stories, there performance. Does anyone have any information about these brave men ? It would be very interesting indeed.

Regards,

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
Floatplanes were assigned as Dets. from their administrative squadrons. US Navy float plane squadrons were designated, it seems like, VMO or VO, for Navy or Marine fixed-wing observation since their primary duty was to direct fire for the ship's big guns.
The German equivalent were Kustenfleigergeschwaderen. All German aircraft, land-based, float-planes or carrier borne, by law, belonged to the Luftwaffe, which caused no end of trouble for the Kreigsmarine. Whenever they wanted anything, they had to go begging, hat in hand, to the Luftwaffe weapons procurement department, and practically never got what they actually needed or wanted.
RN floatplanes were operated by regular RN squadrons which sent Dets. out to Battleships and Cruisers, as well as by RAF Coastal Command
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 02:06 PM UTC
Thanks for that Bruce, I did not know that. Like I was saying, you just dont see alot about the subject. The Pilots and there planes served the navies well during WW-2, to bad we dont here more about them.

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 07:17 PM UTC
The one time you really heard about float planes is the one time they really let their navy down. I'm referring to the float plane from the Tone that launched late at the Battle of Midway. Had it launched on time, and more importantly reported the position and composition of the Ameircan forces accurately, things may very well have turned out different on June 4 1942.
 _GOTOTOP