_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Ships at the Naval Aviation Museum
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
I've been fortunate enough to get by the National Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola the last week or so and took some pics of the ship models they have on display. Below are a few of the pics. The pics aren't that great because you're shooting through glass and the pics don't do them justice. Really great stuff.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hello Bryan,
Wow those are some awesome models! I could realy go nuts in that place. #:-) What beautiful models they are, wonder what scale they are? must be 1/72 or 1/48. Thanks for posting these photo's, very enjoyable.

Regards,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
Yeah, great stuff there. Color me green with envy. I'm 1000 miles from the nearest ocean and they just don't have this kind of sfuff out here.

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC
Yes, the Naval Aviation Museum is definitely worth a visit. I have been twice in the last three years. Took a lot of pictures of their collection "tween-the-wars" aircraft. Although this is the WARSHIP forum, the Air Force has their Firepower Museum next door at Eglin AFB. It is also worth a visit.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Wow! From the looks, it might be a 1/72 model. The model looks very clean and porffessionally made! I wonder how many hours did they work on that.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:19 PM UTC
I wish that I had a place big enough to work on something that big! They look to be 1/72---thats the scale that the Navy and the National Park Service had the builder do the before and after models of the Arizona in at the Arizona Memorial Museum at Pearl Harbor
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up. The family and I are going there and to the U.S.S. Alabama this summer, I'm hoping to get lots of pics of all kinds of good stuff.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
Tont,

If you are in the Mobile, Pensacola area there are several Civil War and turn of the century fortifications in the area. Fort Morgan, part of Mobile's defenses is located at the entrance to the bay, and at Pensacola is located Fort Barancas. Both played a part in the ACW and Ft. Morgan also has turn-of-the century/World War II coastal defenses built on top. Mobile also has a fortification/museum downtown. Very interesting. Just be sure everyone has good walking shoes when you visit the Alabama - there is a lot of walking.
Jeff
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

....... Just be sure everyone has good walking shoes when you visit the Alabama - there is a lot of walking.
Jeff

Yeah, definitely remember all of the walking. It's been about 25 years since I've been there, but my youngest is really excited about going on the battleship and the sub. Should be a great way to spend a day. Plus, the Blue Angels will be around when we are in Pensacola!
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
I once saw a 1/72 model of a Zeppelin with a biplane chasing it, real big stuff.
 _GOTOTOP