_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Revell new tool PT-109 - In Depth Review
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:28 AM UTC
Greetings,
Today I posted an in depth review of Revell Germany new tool 1/72 PT-109 on the PT Boat Forum. You can find it at this link.

http://www.ptboatforum.com/cgi-bin/MB2/netboardr.cgi?fid=102&cid=101&tid=4372&pg=1&sc=20&x=0

Let me know if you have any questions.
Dave

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:42 AM UTC
would like to see the review, but the link doesn't seem to work.
VR, Russ
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 10:52 AM UTC
Try now Russ. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dave
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 11:13 AM UTC
Works now. Great review, you're right, it has a lot more detail, and seems more accurate than the old kit. However I'm surprised at the amount of flash, large sprue gates and the simplified detail in some areas. It also looks as if Revell has planned for other Elco versions in the future. The best detail set I know of for the old kit is the White Ensign set which is very comprehensive, with a couple of 8x11 brass frets, which would make this kit a real stunner.
VR, Russ
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:52 AM UTC
Dave, thanks for your review! I especially appreciate your detailed pictures that leave little to the imagination as to what to expect in the box. As others have noted, I found the mediocre molding and many unnecessary compromises to be surprising given the likely popularity of the subject, but overall it does look somewhat better than Revell's old 109 from the 1960s. Thanks again!
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, thanks for your review! I especially appreciate your detailed pictures that leave little to the imagination as to what to expect in the box. As others have noted, I found the mediocre molding and many unnecessary compromises to be surprising given the likely popularity of the subject, but overall it does look somewhat better than Revell's old 109 from the 1960s. Thanks again!

You're welcome. I think you'll find that it looks better in person. If it were me I would have done a few things differently. Like most kits it could really benefit from a well done and kit appropriate photo etch set. It's also very inexpensive.
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 01:28 AM UTC
Here's a photo of the new tool deck next to the old kit. The new kit measures out with the correct length. It seems pretty clear that the deck was mastered from accurate 103 class drawings. The older kit measured shorter than the older kit.

_GOTOTOP