_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My DKM Lutzow progress (pic's)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
As promised, Photo's of my DKM Lutzow in progress. The model is mostly painted, I just pulled the masking tape off for these shots. Paint was still damp and needs some touch up done. Stripes were all hand painted on the superstructure and masked on the hull. Next goes the Torpedo tubes secondary guns, search lights, ext. Oh! This is for the Atlantic build, oops! Please let me know your thoughts and recomondations. Photo's are in my gallery.

Cheers,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:49 PM UTC
Looking good Garry. That kit really shows off the very thin bridge that was a feature of this class of ship. One question? Are you planning on giving it a false bow wave? Most of the German ships I've seen with this paint scheme have had a false bow, and quite often a false stern wave as well.

How are your feelings on the Heller 1/400 kits? I've heard their Hood is horrible but that the others aren't too bad.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
Howdy Rodger, and thanks for the comments. I'm not sure about the false bow wave yet, so far I have not seen it in any photo of this ship. But I am not done searching yet. If you or anyone else has refs of this please pass them on to me.
I have built most all the Heller kits back several years ago, and I like um! My plans are to build them all again now that I know more about what I am doing. The Hood is a dog of a kit, you heard right! Some good ones are the Richielu, Graf Spee, Z class Destroyer, Prinz Eugen and the Prince of Wales. Lot of them are kits that no one else makes and are worth the build.

Cheers,

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
Looks good Garry. No false bow or stern wave on the Lutzow..Mike
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hello Gary looking good on your lines there, but what I was wondering was you going to throw on a filter to pull all them lines together, so they don't stand out so crisp, I've never done it, but after seeing this guy that done an artical on this armored wheeled vehicle, now he had something I thought nobody could bring together, or at least I thought, but after his proceedure it looked beautiful, and with yours looking good, it should make yours great.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good Garry. No false bow or stern wave on the Lutzow..Mike

Thanks for that Mike! I did not think the Lutzow had bow waves, the drawing I used did not show them, or my reference pic's.

Cheers

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:26 AM UTC
Garry, I haven't been able to find any pictures or info showing the Lutzow having that bow wave but I did find this passage. It's from that website I posted a while back. http://smmlonline.com/articles/kriegsmarinecamo/kreigsmarine.html

"The black and white bands were usually combined with a section at both bow and stern painted in dark gray for a foreshortening effect with a false bow wave added in white or light gray. BISMARCK, PRINZ EUGEN, NURNBURG, LEIPZIG, LUTZOW, EMDEN and DEUTSCHLAND all wore this scheme at one time."

This only says that camo job "usually" included the bow wave. I guess absent actualy seeing a picture of the Lutzow with that wave you leave it off. I always thought it looked pretty cool though.

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hello there Garry,
I just went through the pictures of the Lutzow in "Kreigsmarine-A Pictorial History of the German Navy 1935-1945", by Robert C. Stern . Lutzow was ordered back to the Baltic in September of '43 following the British X-craft raid that nearly wrecked the Tirpitz (Berlin was afraid that they would try the same thing on the Lutzow). At that time, he was still in the gray splinter scheme without bow or stern waves. After refit in Gotenhafen the winter of '43, he went back on the gun line supporting land forces retreating back through the Baltic States and participating in the evacuation of trapped armed forces and civilians from the Kurland Pocket wearing an overall dark blue-gray scheme, again without the bow or stern waves. There are no entrys beyond that, so that is probably the paint he wore when he was sunk on 4 May 1945 by RAF tallboy bombs at Swinemunde
 _GOTOTOP