_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Mystery kit
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 02:05 AM UTC
At Heritagecon last weekend, I picked up a kit entitled "Sea Clipper" by UPC. Looks to be late 1950s or early 1960s. I tried to post a photo of the box but I get the message "the category you chose for this photo can't contain photos."

Does anyone know anything about this kit? Starting to build it and it does not look too bad for its age. Not a bad buy for $10 Canadian.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 04:46 AM UTC
Universal Powermaster Corporation worked out of New York City but apparently did not cut their own molds, instead reboxing other manufacturers. They ended production back in the 1970s, so that puts the kit at least that far back.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC
According to Scalemates UPC also boxed a Cutty Sark which was probably the Pyro mold and since reboxed by Lindberg?

Searches for "Clipper", "Sea Clipper" and "Clipper ship" on Scalemates keep only showing the Cutty Sark for UPC. But Scalemates is notoriously sketchy for the 1950s and 1960s and over time kits have switched boxes and labels freely. Cutty Sark was also sold as Sea Witch and Thermopylae by Pyro for example.
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 05:34 AM UTC
This one has a single screw and the hull moulds have raised lines for gun ports. I also picked up the Aurora Sea Witch that is at least 50% larger.
 _GOTOTOP