_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Calling Tracy White: Hornet CV-8 air group?
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 02:16 AM UTC
Tracy,

I originally posted this on AeroScale and it was suggested to me that I contact you with it.

My plan, someday, is to build the Trumpeter Hornet and 1/48 F4F, TBD, SBD, and B-25 to go with it. Try as I might, however, I can't tell if Hornet's aircraft still had the Air Group designator (8-) still painted on them at the time of the Doolittle raid. I know the regulation to remove it wasn't issued until the end of April, but I also know that several of the Pacific carriers had already done it (though not, apparently, Enterprise). On the other hand, Hornet was brand new to the theater. What do you think?

Thank you!

Michael
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 02:36 AM UTC
Michael,
How quickly do you need this info? Tracy and I are acquainted, and he lives fairly close to me. I think I have his direct email, but it's been a year or so since we corresponded. If not, I'll probably see him on the 21st at our local show. Hopefully he'll pick up this thread, but if you need to talk to him quickly I might be able to help.
VR, Russ
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC
No hurry, Russ. As I said; the PLAN is...

Thanks!

Michael
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 02:51 AM UTC
Michael, I'm sending you a PM with the two known emails I have for Tracy. I don't think he'll mind. Just blame it on me, he knows me pretty well-- and he's always willing to help, although I haven't seen him for several months (my fault, as I've been staying around home a lot lately instead of the LHS we both frequently visit)!
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP